Subpanel Wire Size

Users who are viewing this thread

RetroActv

Reaction score
I'm working on sizing a subpanel for finishing my basement. Main is 200 amp, and I want to run 100 amp to the subpanel. Distance is about 100 feet, all in-doors.

In looking at wire sizes/ampicities, I believe I can use #1 aluminum, correct? I had thought I needed to use the 60 degree column since I'll be running it through a couple insulated walls, but I understand code changed with the 2017 version in that all SE cable larger than #10 can use 75 degrees.

Am I reading this correctly? I have to call my city to see what version of code they use, but if it is 2017, is my logic sound?

Thanks.

Stuff

Reaction score
Logic is sound. Could still go with a 90 amp breaker in the main panel to avoid any arguments. Breaker in sub is optional since in same structure - could still be 100 amp as is considered a disconnect.

Make sure you go with SER 3 wire with ground cable as you need hot-hot-neutral-ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks