Submetering an ADU

Users who are viewing this thread

Kapara

Reaction score
So I am interested in turning my garage into an ADU or Studio with kitchen, Bath etc. Because electricity is so expensive I would prefer to charge for electricity and from what I am reading submetering is the way to go but I find very little info and how best to do this. I currently only have a single panel for my house and am going to upgrade to a 200AMP. Would the best thing to do is add a small subpanel of 60 or 100 amp and monitor that? Schneider seems to have a solution for monitoring specific breakers but almost no info on pricing etc.

EKM seems to have a submetering solution but I need to be able to provide a bill with accurate costs for my billing rates. Any advice is great! Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You install a meter socket, and meter between the two panels. When you get your bill you divide the amount by the KWH used and then multiply that by the KWH used by the submeter. Some jurisdictions do not allow submetering.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks