Submesible well pump control box

Users who are viewing this thread

Jmower71

Reaction score
My basement was flooded and now my control box has join the other dead items. Can i substitute a 230v control box on a 120v pump. Cant find a 120v anywheres, everyone has the 230s. Typo on my thread name meant submersible. :)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't think it will work. I have a hard time finding 115V control boxes as well. I have always used one made for the proper voltage and can't really say for sure. It is one of those things I would just hook up and give a smoke test to find out. But I have smoked a lot of things figuring stuff out. :)

Reach4

Reaction score
The main difference between the 120 and 240 control boxes I think would be the start capacitor. I am thinking that if you are substituting, pick a 240 volt control box for a bigger pump.

For example, a "115 volt" 1/2 HP might have a 159-191 MFD start cap. A "230 volt" 1/2 HP might have a 43-53 MFD start cap.

A "230 volt" 1 HP control box might have a 105-126 MFD start cap, which is probably close enough.

Also, if the box has an overcurrent sensor, you will be better with the 1 HP 230 volt box.

I am not a pro.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The main difference between the 120 and 240 control boxes I think would be the start capacitor. I am thinking that if you are substituting, pick a 240 volt control box for a bigger pump.

For example, a "115 volt" 1/2 HP might have a 159-191 MFD start cap. A "230 volt" 1/2 HP might have a 43-53 MFD start cap.

A "230 volt" 1 HP control box might have a 105-126 MFD start cap, which is probably close enough.

Also, if the box has an overcurrent sensor, you will be better with the 1 HP 230 volt box.

I am not a pro.

Excellent catch! As long as the relay will suck in, doubling the size of the start cap will make it work.

Reach4

Reaction score
bumping to top to get others feelings on this
If you want a Franklin control box for a 1/2 HP 115 volt motor, try this search:
" 280 104 4915 " OR 2801044915 control box

If you want something else, say so.

Your next pump could be a 230 volt 2-wire pump. You will need to use two adjacent breaker slots, but you will have less power lost in your wires, and there is no control box. If you were wanting to use your little quiet Honda generator, that's a reason to go to a 3-wire 115 volt pump.

Jmower71

Reaction score
If you want a Franklin control box for a 1/2 HP 115 volt motor, try this search:
" 280 104 4915 " OR 2801044915 control box

If you want something else, say so.

Your next pump could be a 230 volt 2-wire pump. You will need to use two adjacent breaker slots, but you will have less power lost in your wires, and there is no control box. If you were wanting to use your little quiet Honda generator, that's a reason to go to a 3-wire 115 volt pump.

My pump is a Jacuzzi from 1973 have the paperwork on the install and all the specs. (thank goodness former owner provided) .. the control box was installed at same time. I've had water for 4 hours today.. then it quit again .. felt capacitor and was hot, put fan on it .. working again .. Gonna try to get through the weekend babying this thing to get the control box needed.. if pump working .. why replace .. box first .. then we go for pump .. its 119 ft down on a 165 ft well with 54 ft water depth.. dont fix it if it aint broke?

Reach4

Reaction score
My pump is a Jacuzzi from 1973 have the paperwork on the install and all the specs. (thank goodness former owner provided) .. the control box was installed at same time. I've had water for 4 hours today.. then it quit again .. felt capacitor and was hot, put fan on it .. working again ..
Hot capacitor is not normal. The relay may not be disconnecting the start winding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks