Submersible well pump sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave D

Reaction score
I am replacing the two pipe jet pump I have now with a submersible pump at our home. It is a 60' cased well in a pit. I will be adding a pitless adaptor and a well extention to bring it above ground. Ive read a lot about sizing the pressure tank for draw down and pump cycling etc so Im pretty good there. Here are my questions.

What is the difference between a 110 and a 220 submersible pump in this application providing the GPM are similar. Is one prefered to the other, longevity, cost of use etc?

Currently Im getting about 1 gallon a minute out of my kitchen faucet with no aerator and about the same on teh second floor shower with no head. What is a typical flow from these?

Is there big difference between 30/50 and 40/60? currently I have 20/40 and its a not muc more than a drizzle in the upstairs shower.

Any recomendations in this case? 3 bedroom house two bath and I will be installing a lawn irrigation system in the future and a whole house active carbon filter to remove the small amounts of radon we have. I was thinking a 7 or 10 gpm pump at 40/60 with the appropriate pressure tank for draw down and 1 minute or more between cycles...

Thanks gang

Gsaunders

Reaction score
I am replacing the two pipe jet pump I have now with a submersible pump at our home. It is a 60' cased well in a pit. I will be adding a pitless adaptor and a well extention to bring it above ground. Ive read a lot about sizing the pressure tank for draw down and pump cycling etc so Im pretty good there. Here are my questions.

What is the difference between a 110 and a 220 submersible pump in this application providing the GPM are similar. Is one prefered to the other, longevity, cost of use etc?

Currently Im getting about 1 gallon a minute out of my kitchen faucet with no aerator and about the same on teh second floor shower with no head. What is a typical flow from these?

Is there big difference between 30/50 and 40/60? currently I have 20/40 and its a not muc more than a drizzle in the upstairs shower.

Any recomendations in this case? 3 bedroom house two bath and I will be installing a lawn irrigation system in the future and a whole house active carbon filter to remove the small amounts of radon we have. I was thinking a 7 or 10 gpm pump at 40/60 with the appropriate pressure tank for draw down and 1 minute or more between cycles...

Thanks gang

I am basically taking crash courses on wells, pumps, and the related due to necessity so let me pass several sites I ran across with helpful info.

http://www.aquascience.net/submersible-pumps/. There is a box called helpful info with links. Check that out. It has some calculation tools.
http://www.pumpsonline.com/FAQ.htm
http://www.flotecpump.com/ResidentialProduct_fl_hw_4S_FP2232.aspx Look down in specifications and resources for some good general info.

There are a few other sites that I can't find the links right now, but this may provide some helpful info.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 10 GPM, 3/4 HP will deliver 12 GPM at 50 PSI average with a 40/60 switch. Anything bigger thank ½ HP is going to be 230 volts. If your well can make this much water, it would be plenty for a 3 bed, 2 bath house. Pressure tank sizing to reduce cycling is a thing of the past. You should check out this web page to see how newer type systems work.

www.cyclestopvalves.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks