Submersible Well Pump Activation Switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Kody-Bob

Reaction score
Hello,
The setup I currently have is an 80 foot drilled well with 1/2 hp submersible pump and a 4 inch pvc casing. 1 inch pipe coming up to a 1"x3/4" pitless adapter. From there the line goes out about 2 feet to a yard hydrant.

The power for the system comes out of the main breaker for the house and into, what i believe is, a single pole switch and then to the pump.

There is no pressure tank in this system and I intend to use this well exclusively for garden irrigation. I plan to feed two stand sprinklers from the yard hydrant to cover the area.

I would like the sprinklers to be able to come on during the day for short periods of time and initially I was planning on leaving the hydrant open and connected to a sprinkler timer.

I noticed that with the switch flipped the pump seems to run continuously which I am sure is not a good thing for the pump motor.

Does anybody have any recommendations for replacing the single pole switch with some kind of timer to activate the pump for short periods of time throughout the day? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kody-Bob

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Any timer will work. But you may want to get an irrigation controller as they have a 7 day clock and a pump start relay. And no it is not good for the pump to run when no water is being let out. Make sure that cannot happen.

Kody-Bob

Reaction score
Any timer will work. But you may want to get an irrigation controller as they have a 7 day clock and a pump start relay. And no it is not good for the pump to run when no water is being let out. Make sure that cannot happen.

So will the irrigation controller wire right up in place of the single pole switch that is there now? Or is ther additional wiring and components needed?

Kody-Bob

Reaction score
It should. But I have no idea what you have there?
I'm pretty sure there is just your typical hot, neutral, and ground coming into the switch and then going out to the pump. I keep seeing about these pump switch relays... is that something I will need as well? not trying to overcomplicate this just want to make sure I understand what i need. Thanks again for your help valveman

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There is usually a pump start relay already built in to an irrigation timer. But the switch in a 24 hour timer like a Tork swimming pool pump timer can just handle the current without a relay.

Reach4

Reaction score
The power for the system comes out of the main breaker for the house and into, what i believe is, a single pole switch and then to the pump.
So 115 volt pump, rather than 230.

I think you would want the timer and switch in series. I am tending to think timer is fed by the breaker panel, and switch is fed by the timer. Maybe the switch function is built into the timer, and no additional switch is need. I have not worked with an irrigation timer.

Kody-Bob

Reaction score
Yeah the switch is built into the timer. He is probably using his switch to cut one of the two wires on a 240V system.

It was there when we bought the house so I'm not 100% sure, but it just looks like a regular light switch. Looking into a switch like this. Seems to be like valveman is talking about with the switch built into the timer.

https://www.yardoutlet.com/products/k-rain-2112-single-station-controllers-110v-in-out-2hp-timer

The title says 2hp but the description says up to 1hp which should be fine for my 1/2hp pump right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks