Submersible vs combination deep jet

Users who are viewing this thread

glenn388

Reaction score
I have a 2ft dia, 45ft deep bored well which typ. has 14ft of water in it. my 15 yr old. 1 hp vert. deep well jet pump seals have failed. pump service company said it'll cost approx. $280 to put new seals- he stated he wouldn't put seals in pump that old. looking at new 1hp vert. and find fairly costly. is there any reason not to swap out with submersible pump in lieu of jet? it appears i can get better performance for less money. well and tank are located in large shed within 6 ft of subpanel so power to pump in well should be no problem. well is primarily used to fill pool and to water lawn and garden. garden is approx. 600ft. from well house. thanks for any input.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I would go for the Submersible Pump myself. It's far more reliable and efficient than a jet pump. I would also use either a float or Pumptec to protect the pump from running dry. Dug wells are never known for their great production rates.

If your used to the jet and it's doing a good job, a 1/2hp Submersible Pump will do a fantastic job.

Last edited by a moderator:

glenn388

Reaction score
Submersible it is. I was looking at flotec 1/2 HP since it is readily available and relatively inexpensive and since pump will be used for watering the garden and such. (i have a 700ft primary well i can always defer to) it seems that accounting for the 600 ft to the garden with 1" pipe and the head of the well i should still get 10gpm wiht the 1/2hp if the well will produce it. i plan on getting a pumptec for low production protection. I plan on using 1-1/4" polyethelene pipe to the pump. what type of connection is needed at top? as indicated in the previous post it is 2ft diam. concrete lined well which has precast concrete lid on top with a 5" dia. hole punched in it. I was planing on getting 1/4" plate with a hole cut in for a 1-1/4 hose barb connected to a 1-1/4"" nipple and elbow and to possible use a couple of tapcon screws to prevent the top plate from rotaing. do i need to worry about some type of torque arrestor or will the polyethylene pipe dampen any torsional forces resulting from the pump cycling over the 35ft. i know to utilize two SS clamps at each end of hose. hopefully i have covered everthing needed before actually attemping to puchase and install.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Check the price of that Flotec sub against my Betta Flo 1/2hp 10 gpm sub. Mine is $388.08 and is much better quality than a Flotec.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks