Submersible sump pump - water contains sand

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by JoeA, Jul 3, 2020.

1. JoeA

JoeA New Member

Hi, my primary sump pump pit fills quickly with sand at the bottom (water itself comes with sand), I used to put two bricks and an old humidifier filter as pump base. Just wondering if there any other better options?
    Thanks!

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I think letting the sand settle to the bottom of the pit is best.

I am presuming that the sand is coming to the pit via a pipe, and not just holes somebody drilled into the side of the pit. If it is holes in the side of the pit, how about plugging the big holes, and drilling a bunch of little holes?

How often are you scooping sand up off of the bottom? It is possible that you could use an air lift pump to suck sand. You want the lift through water to be at least half of the total lift, so you would do it when the sump was fairly full of water.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. JoeA

JoeA New Member

With water, I cannot see any holes in the pit
    Usually I get around an inch of sand a year. I probably have no other choice besides vacuuming it every 6 month. I've just checked pump warranty information (all of them) and they say
    I'm changing my whole setup right now. Would you still suggest placing it on bricks?

5. JoeA

JoeA New Member

Another question: Can I use Liberty Pumps 280 Effluent Sump Pump as primary? (going to run very frequently)