Submersible pump

Users who are viewing this thread

jim hay

Reaction score
holding tank

What is the difference between a float switch and a float value?

Speedbump

Reaction score
I would think the float switch is the actual float. The ones I sell have piggyback plugs for ease of hookup to another item with a male electrical plug on them.

A float valve is probably the same as a sprinkler valve that is opened up with a 24 volt signal and closed when the signal is turned off.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
A float valve can be found in toilets; water level raises the float and shuts off the water. A float switch turns power on/off to a pump; like a sump pump etc.. You don't need a pressure tank or pressure switch with a float switch as you do with a float valve which only shuts off the water, causing pressure to increase. Some floats valves control power too and that makes them a switch either directly or indirectly if it controls another control like a solenoid.

Last edited:
R

Rancher

Gary Slusser said:
BTW, most American households use 60 gal of water per person per day. That's without irrigation.
Actually I've seen numbers from the high 60's to 100/person/day, so for a family of 4, 375 Gallons is real close, that's also based on my daily usage, with little irrigation.

And I'd still like to know what Jim's application is that doesn't use a pressure tank?

Rancher

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I've heard some guys say 125 gal/person/day but... I sell metered softeners set up for 60 gals/person/day and I've been doing it for 20+ years. I do not have customers telling me they are regenerating sooner than the number of days I tell them they should get between regenerations. The last 47 months I've sold an average of 25 per month, so I think I'll go with what my meters tell me.

Raucina

Reaction score
I think when our friendly moderator comes back he will tell you guys that he makes no claim that the CSV will allow a franklin motor to be laid down flat, and that this magical upthrust is much of an issue anyway.

As to Garys query about quality control in an atmospheric tank, its the same for me as in an hydraulic excavators fluid supply tank : there is a make up air filter that allows air out [check valve] freely when filling and a 1 micoron filter for air incoming when drawing down. Its so self evident to me, but yet I have never seen anyone take the time to filter the make up air in a large storage tank. Well, excluding my humble self.

Speedbump

Reaction score
and that this magical upthrust is much of an issue anyway.

Upthrust isn't important in a small pump like we are discussing and never will be if the pump has upthrust protection like the Betta Flo's do. Having said that, you have obviously never seen a larger submersible pump that someone with little or no pump experience installed in a well with a great flow and a high water level where the guy didn't backpressure the pump when initially pumping the well off. I have seen the impellers actually melted to the diffusers to where the pump wouldn't start again. That's a pretty expensive start up.

bob...

jim hay

Reaction score
Well you guys have totally confused me about the pump issue so I will switch to another topic. Can you use an electric float switch which shuts off only one leg of a 230 volt system with a pumptech. In the off position will the hot leg interfer with the low voltage sensor and prevent the pump from restarting when water level drops.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you use a contactor (which you should be doing) you will be breaking both legs of the motor. The Pumptec recallibrates every time the motor comes on, and does not care what's happening when the motor is off.

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Raucina said:
As to Garys query about quality control in an atmospheric tank, its the same for me as in an hydraulic excavators fluid supply tank : there is a make up air filter that allows air out [check valve] freely when filling and a 1 micoron filter for air incoming when drawing down. Its so self evident to me, but yet I have never seen anyone take the time to filter the make up air in a large storage tank. Well, excluding my humble self.

It's self evident to you 'cuz you don't know water but keep pretending you do.

Atmospheric filtered or nonfiltered air is in contact with water and water, ALL water BTW but especially nontreated well water, contains bacteria....

So IYO, do you think there may be any growth eventually in this 1500 gallon tank and the water in it that he wants to draw down to 25% repeatedly?

I see it as guaranteed.

And since it's difficult to impossible to get you to learn anything, think of it like this: It's kinda like the reason why treated and tightly capped bottled water has a shelf life.

Raucina

Reaction score
And since it's difficult to impossible to get you to learn anything,

It's self evident to you 'cuz you don't know water but keep pretending you do

TERRY! TERRY! OH EVEN MINDED MODERATOR !! Help, I have been slandered and attacked on our level headed and good christian well site! OH, Forsakes, Gary Slusher has lashed out upon me in personal and fornicative type language! I demand that he be banished in order to certify your standards of non personal insultational verbiage. All this abuse because I suggest that we only allow clean air into our storage tanks without spiders and roaches.

May he feel the sting of the lash across his pitiful shoulders for such unprofessional and unfriendly tidings. May large cadaver feeding bugs fall into his storage tank as a lesson in the advantages in AIR filtration relating to WATER filtration

Upon this post I build my case for fair and friendly behaviour. Let us see the stated rules put forth with vigor.

You sir, are a provacateur and slanderer, and deserve the stocks.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Sorry, I see I have a typo in the following:
It's self evident to you 'cuz you don't know water but keep pretending you do

That should be:
It's self evident to you 'cuz you don't know water treatment but keep pretending you do.

I promise to never do that again or at least until you make another incorrect statement; whichever comes first.

Toni Lynch

Reaction score
sump pump for outdoors

I have lived in this house for a little over a year. I recently had to tear out molded carpet and some dry wall because of portion of my basement was getting wet underneath the carpet and I was not aware of this. I have been told I need a sump pump - the house is 30+ years old. I can not afford the quotes I am getting for them - anywhere between $3000 and $4200. I am a single mother of 3 and this is just not in the works.....is it possible to have an outdoor sump pump at the lowest point of my house(yard) near the house and it work just as good? This is a foundation issue so home owners insurance will nto cvoer a dime of this...I realize there will be no jack hammereing of cement foundation outside but I am not sure on what to do.....I would think this would be the faction of the cost and possibly do the same thing if I was to put eletric to it....please advice me I live in St. Charles Missouri

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
This should be a new thread but... The primary cause of basement water problems is the down spouts from rain gutters not being cleaned and overflow onto the ground under them and then the water seeps down the basement wall etc..

So make sure the gutters and downspouts are clean so the water doesn't back up and that the water is directed away from the house.

Any downspout dry wells may be backing up instead of being able to accept all the water from a heavy rain. Or the underground portion from the visible downspout to the dry well may be cracked or broken.

Then if the water in the basement is coming up from under the floor, that's groundwater and you need a sump pump hole in the floor (not outside the cellar wall), a sump pump put in the hole and plumbing from the pump to the outside and away from the house.

That could be done by anyone that could break the usually 4" thick concrete floor and dig a 2'+ wide by say 3.5' deep and putting a garbage can like sump pump plastic liner in the hole and backfilling around it to put the pump in.

Your estimates must be to do the whole perimeter of the basement instead of just a sump pump hole. Or IMO you're being taken.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks