Submersible pump recommendation, lake use

Users who are viewing this thread

Allan243

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I've been doing a lot reading so i think I'm on the right track but open to other opinions.
I'm looking for a submersible pump size and make recommendation to use at my cottage. This will replace the old jet pumps we've been using using since it was built 50 years ago. The run from the lake is about 200 feet with a 30 foot vertical lift. I'm thinking any decent 1/2hp stainless steel 230V submersible pump around 10gpm should work fine but I'm open to suggestions.
Also if anyone has some pump stand ideas or plans that would be great too. The lake bottom is soft so i need the pump suspended/raised about 2-3 feet off of the bottom.
My ultimate goal is to either run an internal heat trace or drain back system so i can have water in the winter when i snowmobile. I'm getting tired of carrying water up from the creek.

Thanks
Al

PS Cottage is in Quebec Canada if that makes a diff

Reach4

Reaction score
Pump size sounds good.
You want a flow inducer on the pump. One possibility would be to slant a 4 inch PVC pipe to put the pump at the right depth, provide the flow inducer action, and hold the pump off of the bottom. You will also want a good size cage around the intake to block debris, plants, fish.

A different idea would be to have the pipe run in below the frost/freeze line. Then no heat needed. You would trench the pipe and keep going as you got to the lake.

I would power this via a GFCI.

I expect what you can do depends on whose lake it is.

Allan243

Reaction score
Pump size sounds good.
You want a flow inducer on the pump. One possibility would be to slant a 4 inch PVC pipe to put the pump at the right depth, provide the flow inducer action, and hold the pump off of the bottom. You will also want a good size cage around the intake to block debris, plants, fish.

A different idea would be to have the pipe run in below the frost/freeze line. Then no heat needed. You would trench the pipe and keep going as you got to the lake.

I would power this via a GFCI.

I expect what you can do depends on whose lake it is.

The line is well buried except about 25 feet before i enter the lake. I have to over i big part of the Canadian shield lol
Check on the GFCI! I'll look into that.
Luckily the lake I'm on is semi private so almost no traffic on it other than ourselves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks