Submersible pump problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Dragos2017

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum. And to my house actually..

I have a 4" submersible pump that only cycles for 20 secs after I reset the power. If it's a quick switch off/on it's 20 seconds. If I turn it off for 4 hours it works for about 2 and a half minutes. Then nothing.

Is this indicative of a failing pump? I'm just concerned the well is going dry. I'm a total newb to this. Thanks in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
You should get a clamp-around ammeter if you want to diagnose this yourself.

I am not experienced with this, but it sounds compatible with a well running dry. Are you seeing air in your water lately?
I have a 4" submersible pump that only cycles for 20 secs after I reset the power.
When this happens, what is happening to the water pressure during that 20 seconds? Be specific.
If I turn it off for 4 hours it works for about 2 and a half minutes. Then nothing.
What is happening to the water pressure during that 2.5 minutes?

If you need this water for your home, it is probably time to call your pump person. He will know what is happening to wells in your area. He can diagnose, and if the well is going dry, maybe work around the problem by lowering the pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sounds more like an overload tripping. You are giving it more time to cool when off for a few hours and it last longer. Make sure you have the proper voltage to the motor and not just half. Then check the amps. I am guessing they are pegging out.

Dragos2017

Reaction score
You should get a clamp-around ammeter if you want to diagnose this yourself.

I am not experienced with this, but it sounds compatible with a well running dry. Are you seeing air in your water lately?

When this happens, what is happening to the water pressure during that 20 seconds? Be specific.
What is happening to the water pressure during that 2.5 minutes?

If you need this water for your home, it is probably time to call your pump person. He will know what is happening to wells in your area. He can diagnose, and if the well is going dry, maybe work around the problem by lowering the pump.

I can explain a little- The pump pushes the water into a 2500 gallon holding tank, and then that goes through a rather large arsenic filter and then into the pressure tank. Pressure at the house is always optimum.

I don't see any air in the water when it's going into the tank. It's almost like a definite 'stop' when it does. It doesn't spray air or sputter or anything..
When it actually pumps, it seems to be going strong.

I'll see if I can get a hold of a voltmeter and check some settings as well.

Dragos2017

Reaction score
I did notice something when I looked up online how deep my well was. (212 ft deep, pipe to 210 and a 7" steel pipe). It says the water level is at 30ft. I'm pretty new to this- I don't understand why they would drill so deep if it's at 30ft?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sometimes you have to drill to 212', then the water will come up to 30'. Or sometimes even though the static level is 30', when you start pumping it will pull down to 210'. Lots of water standing in the well is much better than only having a couple feet in the well.

Reach4

Reaction score
I could be there was not much water until they got deep. Then the aquifer was under pressure, and the water rose. There are wells where the pressure is high enough to actually have the water rise above ground. Those are artesian wells.

It could be they went deeper to give more storage. There are lots of people in California with low producing wells who need above-ground storage tanks. You don't need that.

It could be they wanted protection against falling water levels. It happens, particularly when you are around irrigators.

Be happy.

Dragos2017

Reaction score
Just a follow up. Everything is working out pretty well! (Get the pun?)

I replaced the capacitor on the control panel, and changed the pump saver to 60 minutes. It seems to keep up.

I do have one question, though. Yesterday I went and checked the water tank for level. Opened up the lid, and noticed the water was 6 inches under the top float.

I picked up the float and set it upright- *click*. I let it drop back down *click*. Water poured out for about 5 minutes. It still didn't fill the tank. (Im assuming I didn't have the water available to get it to the top).

Why isn't it trying to fill the tank automatically? Why did it come on only when I manually rotated the top float? It does come on from time to time.. I was just thinking it would attempt to fill the float every hour. (According to the pump saver settings).

Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
Why isn't it trying to fill the tank automatically? Why did it come on only when I manually rotated the top float? It does come on from time to time.. I was just thinking it would attempt to fill the float every hour. (According to the pump saver settings).
Would that be Cycle Sensor, Pumptec, Pump Saver?

Dragos2017

Reaction score
Pump Saver model 231. 1-12-17 004.JPG

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pump saver is working properly then the pump should try to run every hour until the float switch is raised. It may only run for 5 minutes at a time because it is pumping the well dry in 5 minutes. But it should try again every 60 minutes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks