submersible pump for water and georthermal heat/cool system does not work.

Users who are viewing this thread

tgisdances

Reaction score
My home has an open loop geothermal heat/cool system. The well is 155' deep.
On June 15, 2010 had a half hour neighborhood power outage that I do not know the reason for.

June 16, Weather has been cool so I didn't notice air conditioner had not been running until late afternoon.
Checked electrical box and saw breaker was tripped. Assumed that the power outage of June 15 may have tripped it, as I couldn't think of any other reason for it. Reset breaker, air started right away.

June 18, about 2pm, heard a clicking, clacking noise coming from pump/furnace utility room. Went to inspect and notice the gauge to what I think is for the pump pressure was erractly going up and down and making the noise. I had never heard or seen this before and thought to my self, I had better call my younger brother when he gets home from work and ask him about it.

June 18, 4pm, turned on water faucet in kitchen, no water...no water anywhere in house.
Called my brother and said I had no water and is there something I could check. He said he would be over in an hour. Hate to have my brother drive all the way to my house for something simple so I went to a neighbor that does commercial heating and air and ask if he had any ideas of what it could be. My neighbor came over with his MM to check out voltages I guess. He discovered that the start capacitor in the pump control box was leaking all over. He said that he didn't know if the bad cap was related to the power outage or not. My neighbor went home and said he would see if he had anything that big. 150 MFD for a 1 1/2 hp pump. I called my brother and I told him he didn't have to come as my neighbor was helping me and it was something called a start capacitor.
Well, my neighbor said he didn't have anything that size and he even looked at the start capacitor on his air compressor but that was to big. I said I'll check my air compressor ! I did and he said the capacitor from my compressor should work. So he put it in and the pump wouldn't start, it blew the capacitor. He said I think your pump is bound up. I'd have to call a well company as the pump is at the bottom of the well. Might it be something other then the pump?

It sounded serious and expensive, which is not what a retired Great Gramma needs, so I started searching the internet for info and came across Terry Loves, site.

While searching, I also saw reference somewhere that a power surge or outage or something like that could damage a start capaictor and that could lead to the pump binding up. If this is possible, maybe my homeowners insurance might cover this pump. Can anyone support this power outage/surge diagnosis?

My neighbor has a hose hooked from his outside spigot to my outside spigot to keep me in water. I don't want to ruin our nice relationship by not getting this looked into, so I had better stop and send this off.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Imnanagma

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Since you have a three wire pump there are a lot of tests you can perform at the surface. Check Franklin motors website and download the appropriate troubleshooting section for an ammeter and Ohmmeter. Capacitors usually blow from too many cycles or a relay that leaves them "on" too long. Testing will tell you pretty quick if your motor is frozen up.

You have a lot of issues about cycling and pump sizing with a water heat pump that others here can fill you in on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks