Submersible Motor Snow Cone!

Users who are viewing this thread

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Who can guess right? On why, this Franklin Motor built up with a thick layer of Calcium

Background: Open flow into a pond

Attachments

• IMG_0534 (2).jpg
    IMG_0534 (2).jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've seen wells where the wire was covered with calcium, but not the pipe so I'm going to venture a guess and say it's somehow related to the current

TVL

Reaction score
Basically, motors operate with magnetism - magnets draw calcium deposits - therefore the buildup. However, this is a guess!

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
The next part that puts all of your guesses together: Page 6 of the Franklin Aid manual http://www.franklinwater.com/more/service/aim-manual/motor-application/all-motors/page-6/

• Pump is set in or below screens or perforations

Now you can say it needed a flow sleeve or it just needed to be set just above the perforations for proper cooling (I have also found that the stainless steel shell on the Franklin Motor, will show discoloration from the heat and not have build up).

TVL, http://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=water-treatment

I will look up the age of this pump to see how long it lasted.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a few customers who tried "magnetic" water treatment systems, they said it was a waste of their money.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Same thing happens in an electric water heater. I guess it could be magnetism, but I always thought it was the heat that caused the calcium buildup.

I agree that it was the heat that caused the calcium buildup on the outside of the motor.

I have tons of customers that don't believe in the "magnetic" water treatment but they also thought it was suppose to take out the calcium in the water. The way I understand how it works is that it's as an "electronic magnetic field", that wraps around the house line so it gives the water an "electronic charge", to keep the calcium from building up on your fixtures.

The Franklin Motor has it on the inside of the motor so it's not a N & S pole wrapped around a pipe that has water flowing through it.

Very few customers have said it actually works.

I found this on the web as well https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_water_treatment

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
I've seen wells where the wire was covered with calcium, but not the pipe so I'm going to venture a guess and say it's somehow related to the current

The next time I see the drop pipes covered in a layer of calcium, I will post it on here for everyone to see. I see it from time to time because of the static water level dropping while pumping water, it's exposed to the air when this happens, then the pump shuts off and the static water recovers, do this enough times and you will find a layer of calcium on the drop pipes & wire. I would think that the harder your water is and how much you use it, determines how thick the layer can get.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a calcium snow cone, but see how little there is on the pipe? The tank T was plugged off as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 325

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Wow, how hard is that water and the TDS? Do you think the static water level stays high in the well and what did the pump/motor look like?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks