Submersible - Controlling flow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Francois Gamache

Reaction score
This is a work in progress and will be for a while.... Gotta start somewhere!

Installed Grundfos 6 SQF-2 submersible pump in 240' well on our powerless, vacant rural lot. When we need water, we start the generator and plug the pump in. There's no control box, nada. From the pitless, a PVC pipe with valve and hose bib. No pressure tank, to cistern, just the bare-bones.

The (newbie) question I have is regarding pressure/flow control... As it is, pressure coming out is way to high and I'm surprised the cheap garden hose hasn't burst yet!

I can partially close the hose-bib valve to the desired pressure/flow, but won't that be damaging to the pump, running full-power against a partially closed valve, building pressure in the drop-pipe??

Or do I need to add the other bits to my system right away i.e. pressure tank, pressure switch? (Hoping not)

The pump can also handle varying voltages (90-240AC / 30-300DC) @ max 8.4A... would that be another option, to get a thingamajig to reduce voltage from generator hence flow/pressure?

Looking for the simplest solution here. I guess I don't understand what the pump does when it meets resistance at output: does it slow down to match output? Does it cycle? Or does it just keep pumping until the pipes burst?!?

Steep learning curve. Please be gentle.

françois
Wannabe-Homesteader

Reach4

Reaction score
A CSV in line would be simple, as long as you will be passing at least one GPM water while the pump is powered. https://cpkits.com/collections/pump-control-valves/products/csv125-cycle-stop-valve comes in different pressure versions. With that you would continue to not use a pressure switch. Otherwise you could add a pressure switch and small pressure tank. Those all combined are available as a kit. https://cpkits.com/collections/frontpage/products/custom-pk1a-pside-kick-kit has adjustable pressure.

Francois Gamache

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Reach4...
Reading about the cycle stop valve, seems it mechanically reduces the pump output (just like me partially closing the hose-bib valve?).

Back to my initial concern: isn't it an issue for the pump to push against a partially/fully closed valve??

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Reach4...
Reading about the cycle stop valve, seems it mechanically reduces the pump output (just like me partially closing the hose-bib valve?).

Back to my initial concern: isn't it an issue for the pump to push against a partially/fully closed valve??
No, within limits. There needs to be enough flow to cool the motor. The actual watts consumed in the face of backpressure is lower than at unimpeded flow. The watts per gallon goes up, but the absolute watts go down.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a normal pump increasing the pressure the pump is pushing against would actually lower the amps and make the pump work easier. BUT NOT WITH THAT PUMP. That pump has a helical shaft that will just keep building pressure until something breaks. You either need to get a regular pressure tank/pressure switch and let the pump cycle on/off while using water, or get the variable speed controller. I would go for the pressure tank/pressure switch as it is more dependable and less expensive than the variable speed controller. Plus you do not want to vary the speed if you plan on using solar and/or batteries, as it will not be as efficient.

Francois Gamache

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the clarification and important detail about the type of pump :)

I was hoping to delay the pressure switch/tank until we build the house, but seems it's the option to take. And yes, the plan is to run the pump DC off solar in end-state.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

With a normal pump increasing the pressure the pump is pushing against would actually lower the amps and make the pump work easier. BUT NOT WITH THAT PUMP. That pump has a helical shaft that will just keep building pressure until something breaks. You either need to get a regular pressure tank/pressure switch and let the pump cycle on/off while using water, or get the variable speed controller. I would go for the pressure tank/pressure switch as it is more dependable and less expensive than the variable speed controller. Plus you do not want to vary the speed if you plan on using solar and/or batteries, as it will not be as efficient.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks