Subfloor membrane questions

Users who are viewing this thread

nigma444

Reaction score
I've been reading up on using a subfloor membrane instead of cement backer, like Easymat, NAC ECB Anti-Fracture or NAC Strataflex Waterproofing Membrane, and Schluter Ditra.

Has anyone had experience using these types of products? How well do they work in comparison to the cement backer? And also, can these products be used on the wall around tubs for applying glass mosaic tile? All of the instructions only talk about the floor.

Thanks.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Take a look at www.johnbridge.com This type of project is discussed in very great detail. Use the search feature and you will come up with alot of information.

Ditra afaik is a floor-only product. Schluter sells "Kerdi" which is a waterproofing membrane for tub/shower walls.

You can also use Redgard on the walls, which is a roll-on liquid membrane.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
also good is Wedi.

The non-CBU membranes are all good; they all work; none has any kind of limitation that makes it clearly worse than any other. I don't know the NAC products.

Some liquid membranes are designed for hygroscopic pressure and are not waranteed for showers.

Cutting cement board makes a lot of cement dust which is a real health hazard.

To set glass mosaic the thing that counts is the thinset, which your glass mosaic manufacturer will specify and guarantee if you are lucky.

David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks