Subfloor in basement which is correct

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt26

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Great thread here, many thanks to all who have contributed thus far. I am wondering whether anyone has any experience using (or any opinion of) this product called Insofast? It's a system for building insulated walls (or floors) that is composed of 24"x48" interlocking EPS foam (in 2" or 2.5" thickness) panels with embedded plastic studs every 16". You glue the panels to the wall (or floor) and then attach your drywall (or subfloor plywood) with screws through the embedded studs. There are drainage channels on the "outside side" (the one against the wall or floor) along with conduits for running electrical. It's expensive ($2.50/sq ft), but installation looks simple. For basements like mine where plumbing/electrical/hvac conduits are situated right near the perimeter ceiling joist it allows me to skip the elaborate process of building a ceiling track for wall framing that somehow meanders around all those obstacles (not sure how that would even be possible). For floors it makes less sense in my opinion due to the thickness (unless you have high ceilings) and cost.
In addition to general opinions about this product I'm curious what people think about how this would impact the ability of walls to dry and therefore not wick moisture into the sill plates? I know 2" EPS is a weak vapor retarder so hopefully the impact would be negligible. I am, however, concerned about this because there is no sill gasket between my foundation walls (poured concrete) and sill plate, I live in an area with a high water table and heavy clay soil, and there is only a few inches of visible concrete on the exterior below the siding (exterior drying potential is low). Also, I see efflorescence along the lower few inches of the foundation walls inside (though having been here only a few months I have no idea how long that's been there or whether it has any impact on the sill plate seven feet higher).
My basement also has a partial crawl space which I would like to insulate, and I'm wondering whether there is less of a concern for sill plate rotting above that section because the concrete only goes a few feet down and, presumably, the footing is not nearly as close to the water table as the rest of the basement. Would I be safe installing 2 inch XPS along the crawl space walls even though i have no sill gasket and only a small section of exposed exterior foundation? Or would I be safer with just 1 inch?
Many thanks in advance to anyone who shares their opinion or gives advice, I've spent countless hours reading online trying to get a better understanding of how these variables play out and still find myself uncertain of how to proceed.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Other than the expense the InSoFast approach is fine.

At 2" Type-II EPS (1.5lbs nominal density, like InSoFast) is still a Class-III vapor retarder, but under 2 perms.

But 2" (R8.4) also not enough R to meet current IRC code minimum for US climate zones 4 & higher, which is most of the US. Chicago is zone 5A, which needs R15 continuous insulation, or the thermal equivalent thereof. But you can get that level of performance with 1.5" of EPS (R6.3 , 1.5-2 perms) trapped to the wall with a fiberglass insulated studwall. And in Chicago's climate that is also sufficient R for wintertime dew point control at the foam/fiber boundary, which means you don't need an interior side vapor retarder tighter than standard latex paint (3-4 perms) to prevent wintertime moisture accumulations with R11-R15 in the studwall.

At 2" all XPS is a class-II vapor retarder, usually between 0.5-0.8 perms. Going with 2" EPS (1.2-1.5 perms) would be better than even 1" of XPS. XPS also loses it's performance advantage over a few decades, eventually falling to R4.2/inch (just like EPS of similar density) once it's climate damaging HFC blowing agents have dissipated. EPS is blown with pentane, a far more environmentally friendly gas, most of which is recaptured at the point of manufacture (sometimes burned for process heat.)

Concerns about moisture wicking to the foundation are real enough if you don't have a foot or more of above grade exposure on the interior, but simply stopping the foam 6-12" off the slab to allow drying toward the interior is sufficient mitigation in just about any location but a swamp with the water table at slab level most of the year. (The right solution there would be to move. :) ) Even foil faced foam is fine if it stops 6-12" off the slab. That efflorescence is telling you where most of the moisture is going already, so as long as you don't block it from drying into the interior at that level it won't go much higher.

There are multiple vendors of reclaimed rigid foam board operating in your area, and 3" of fiber faced roofing polyiso meets IRC code min even without a studwall & fluff. Polyiso should always stop above the slab, since unlike polystyrene it can wick & retain moisture. The facers are Class-II vapor retarders which is fine to have up against the foundation, but the cut bottom edge should not rest on concrete.

Matt26

Reaction score
Thanks Dana! That was very helpful. I didn't realize the efflorescence indicated moisture drying to the interior, though that makes sense now that I think about it. The area I live in is not a swamp, but it may have been a swamp a hundred years ago for all I know. We are about a 1/4 mile from a small river and I would guess my foundation slab is only five or so feet above that river level. During a wet period the river can definitely rise close to, if not above, my slab level, though I don't know if that means the water table at my location is also that high. The sump pump runs a lot during wet periods, but I've noticed in recent weeks as we get into winter it doesn't run nearly as much. The previous owner told me it won't run at all for most of the winter, though I'll wait to confirm that before I believe it.

I was aware that the Insofast solution would still leave me below code as far as R value, but I can't figure out how to build a stud wall with all the obstructions along the ceiling perimeter. That's what led me to Insofast in the first place. I attached a picture of the wall here. I'm admittedly a novice when it comes to construction - maybe there's an easy workaround I'm not aware of. The 3" of fiber faced roofing polyiso sounds like an interesting idea but without a stud wall how would I attach drywall to it? In any event I will leave the bottom foot of the concrete in the full-height area uninsulated per your advice. The only thing I'm not clear on is does that also apply to the crawlspace? I haven't observed any efflorescence there. Since the slab in that area is three feet higher than the slab in the rest of the basement is it safe to completely cover the crawlspace walls with 2-3" of EPS (or XPS for that matter)?

Thanks again for your help!

IMG_4174 (1).JPG

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If the crawlspace doesn't have full vapor barrier on the floor sealed to the foundation walls the moisture drying path would be primarily through the dirt, and efflorescence may not appear above the dirt level, or even below it. The soil would be behaving as a "sacrificial parge" for the concrete, and any minerals being moved by the moisture would be in the soil, not the surface of the concrete.

If there is only minimal above grade exposure on crawlspace foundation AND there is a ground vapor barrier, it's safest to leave the bottom 6" of the wall above the crawlspace floor foam-free.

All crawlspaces need a vapor barrier on the floor, even vented crawl spaces, since soil gases tend to be unhealthy for humans. If yours doesn't have one, a very heavy (20 mils) polyethylene or EPDM (membrane roofing) vapor barrier can be installed. Attach it to the foundation wall with 1x strapping through-screwed to the foundation, with a bead of caulk between the vapor barrier and foundation to ensure a tight seal.

The electrical obstructions are usually pretty easy to move, the plumbing (particularly cast iron drain stacks) not so much. Sometimes you just have to cut & cobble around them.

Matt26

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have clarified that the crawl space floor is a concrete slab, not dirt. It's unsealed, just plain old concrete. As such, do you still recommend leaving the bottom six inches foam free?

In the main area, if I leave the bottom foot foam-free but then run drywall and baseboard to the floor will the wall still be able to dry inward? I know drywall is vapor permeable, but my brain is struggling to believe that the wall will still be able to dry with drywall in front it.

There's a vendor of reclaimed polyiso about an hour and a half from me that is selling 16 sheets of 3" polyiso for $400. Seems like a good deal.

Thanks again!

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If there's only 6" of above grade exterior exposure on the crawlspace foundation walls, leave 6" of exposure at the bottom for drying toward the interior. Use polyurethane caulk, foam board construction adhesive or can-foam to seal the wall foam to the foundation at both the top and bottom to prevent convection behind the foam.

ShaunT

Reaction score
Hi Dana,

On behalf of everyone who stumbles across this post, thank you for the wealth of information.

I'm close by you geographically and I'm having a heck of a time finding any unfaced EPS insulation for my basement project. I've called the recyclers that you mentioned several posts ago and they only have 2.25" EPS. I'm looking for 1" for my flooring underlayment and walls (because, frankly, I can't spare the headroom).

I'm hoping to use EPS for the environmental (and long-term R-value) benefits you've reiterated in this thread, but have struck out with all the big box stores and several local building supply stores.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Green Insulation Group sometimes has 1" factory-seconds XPS. For the walls you can use 1" foil faced polyiso, which they also tend to have as factory-seconds stock at about half-price. If you don't have sufficient above grade exposure to protect the foundation sill from damper concrete with foil faced goods, leaving the bottom 6-12" of wall foam-less to allow any ground moisture wicking into the concrete to dry toward the interior is a standard remedy.

On the floor using foil or plastic faced box-store Type-I EPS is fine. There may be some fine-tuning to be done with the TapCons to keep the subfloor edges aligned when using foam that soft. While Type-I foam has plenty of capacity for managing floor loading, the masonry screws can apply a lot more localized pressure than you'd get with walking/furniture/water heater resting on the subfloor.

Most of the reclaimed EPS out there is roofing foam, where it's rare to find anything thinner than 2". Most of the roofing EPS is Type-VIII (1.25lbs per cubic foot), though there is sometimes Type-II (1.5lbs nominal density.)

ShaunT

Reaction score
Hey Dana...thanks for the info.

Does any of this change/become moot if only a part of a basement is being finished for living space? Any recommendations in that scenario?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Hey Dana...thanks for the info.

Does any of this change/become moot if only a part of a basement is being finished for living space? Any recommendations in that scenario?

Depends on what is meant by "...any of this...".

You clearly don't have to insulate the slab, even in new construction, even though it's a good idea if you're going to be covering it with a moisture-susceptible finish floor.

But it IS worth air sealing and insulating all of the basement walls, even the unfinished part, which is also required by code in new construction.

If only insulating the basement walls in the finished section, new construction would have to treat the partition wall between them as an exterior wall (2x6/R20, in MA), and the floor above the unconditioned space would have to be insulated to R30. But in retrofits you're not (currently) required to bring the whole basement up to code R values, and even the newly finished space is negotiable- depending on the local building department.

Air sealing a basement ceiling is nearly impossible to do well as a retrofit, but foundation walls are easy. Reclaimed roofing foam is cheaper than R30 batts, and net performance improvement will be better if insulating the foundation walls rather than the partition walls and ceiling of the unconditioned space.

My basement is not a finished basement, and probably never will be due to high springtime water table issues. But insulating the foundation walls made a huge difference in year-round comfort in the basement, never dropping below 65F in winter, lowered the amount of electricity needed to keep the "musty basement smell" at bay, and cut the overall heating energy use by something on the order of 20%. YMMV.

Jeremy Biggs

Reaction score
I ran into this thread after days of researching this very topic, and wow, I am so grateful to have found it (and Dana, specifically :)). Hoping Dana is still around and willing to answer my questions!

We bought a new construction house in New Hampshire and need to finish almost the entire basement. Foundation was poured in spring 2020, 4" slab, vapor barrier underneath but according to the sitework coordinator, no foam underneath :-( It does have 2" of XPS foam on the exterior that goes all the way down to the footing (stops at bottom of slab), and crushed rock around the perimeter (can't say exactly how much) and I assume under the slab (again don't know how much). Soil seems to be on the clay side of things. We've had the house since March 2021, and the basement has been bone dry since then. I never measured humidity during the summer, but I don't remember noticing much of a difference from main level other than temperature. We use hydroponic baseboard heat on main level, and basement has been comfortable temperature even with no direct heat source down there. There was one small transom window in the basement when we bought the house, but we converted it to a full egress window and added two others.

We framed the basement in mostly 25 gauge steel studs, with 1" R6 Polyisocyanurate foam (foil-backed both sides). Studs are generally .25 - 1" from the foam. Tracks are attached directly to the concrete, and we do have one interior wall that was built with 2x6 wood (pressure treated bottom attached to concrete). The stairwell walls were already there and are standard 2x4s. We have 91" from concrete to bottom of joists and main beam, and 83" from concrete to bottom of interior door headers.

We had been planning on using 3/4" Dricore for the flooring (having done little research until now), but now that the time to buy is here, I found the cost had gone up by $2 a panel, so we started looking at DMX 1-step as a way to cut cost (with the added benefit of more headroom). 1" Dricore is currently very close in price to the original, but I was trying to avoid losing the headroom. But I have now had the proper crap scared out of me reading about dew points and required R-value for proper mitigation on the floor :) Three rooms were intended to have carpet, the rest is to be luxury vinyl plank 20mm, or slate tile (bathroom only).

So my questions would be as follows:
  1. Given our climate zone (6, I believe), slab depth and insulation, and general dryness of the basement overall, what is the proper R-value that should be used for the floor, and what would be your recommended layering of materials? Is it reasonable to stick with 1" dricore, or even just do the DMX 1-step, or are those really bad ideas long-term? We will be spending a good deal of time in the basement, so I'm definitely concerned about mold down there.
  2. How concerned should I be about having attached the steel tracks directly to the concrete (and the wood wall, for that matter)? I asked the contractor helping us about vapor barrier / insulation, but he said it wasn't needed.
  3. Is the foam we selected for the walls correct and adequate for this purpose, given the 2" XPS on the exterior? We don't intend to insulate the stud walls, but we can if required).
Thanks in advance, Dana (or others!) for any help you can offer! Let me know if you need further info to clarify anything!

Jeremy Biggs

Reaction score
Btw, a few pics if they are helpful. Not sure if they will display in the post, but their links should take you to ImgBB where they are hosted.

Edit: links didn't display, here they are:

biggs-01.jpg

biggs-02.jpg

biggs-04.jpg

biggs-03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I ran into this thread after days of researching this very topic, and wow, I am so grateful to have found it (and Dana, specifically :)). Hoping Dana is still around and willing to answer my questions!

I'm still around- not dead yet. ;)

I can't respond in full right now (prepping for a ski race only a few hours from right now), but should be able to look at it in depth on Tuesday.

Jeremy Biggs

Reaction score
Haha, very glad to hear you're still around; the internet hordes need you Thanks so much for the update, I look forward to the response!

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
We bought a new construction house in New Hampshire and need to finish almost the entire basement. Foundation was poured in spring 2020, 4" slab, vapor barrier underneath but according to the sitework coordinator, no foam underneath :-( It does have 2" of XPS foam on the exterior that goes all the way down to the footing (stops at bottom of slab), and crushed rock around the perimeter (can't say exactly how much) and I assume under the slab (again don't know how much).

In Chapter 11 of the IRC 2021 (see TABLE N1102.1.3) the code minimum R value for basement walls for your location (Charlestown NH is in US climate zone 6A) is R15 continuous insulation (c.i.) or R19 between wood stud (bad solution) , or R5 c.i. + R13 between wood studs. The 2" of XPS is labeled R10 but will perform at about R8.5 (0r less, if waterlogged) after 20 years.

Obviously what you have for wall insulation needs some work:

We framed the basement in mostly 25 gauge steel studs, with 1" R6 Polyisocyanurate foam (foil-backed both sides). Studs are generally .25 - 1" from the foam. Tracks are attached directly to the concrete, and we do have one interior wall that was built with 2x6 wood (pressure treated bottom attached to concrete). The stairwell walls were already there and are standard 2x4s. We have 91" from concrete to bottom of joists and main beam, and 83" from concrete to bottom of interior door headers.

To hit a moisture-safe code minimum performance level would require moving the steel studs in a few inches to accommodate more insulation. Are you up for that?

To hit R15 with foil faced polyiso takes 2.5" total, or another 1.5". If you can find a local source of cheap reclaimed roofing polyiso or factory seconds polyiso you could add 2" of, derating the used roofing foam foam to R5/inch (from it's labeled R5.7/inch) and it would be good.

Insulating BETWEEN the steel studs with R13 -R15 batts would be more expensive and less effective, with a high risk of wintertime condensation or even ice forming inside the wall at the above-grade portions. (In zone 6 it takes at least R7.5 of exterior foamand and a nearly perfectly air tight air barrier on the interior facing sides of the batts for dew point control on R13 fiber at the foam/fiber boundary, R8 foam for dew point control on R15). Despite the thinness, the extremely high thermal conductivity of steel studs compared to wood studs robs an insulated studwall of about 40% in comparative performance for that layer. eg: After factoring in the thermal conductivity of the studs a wood 2x4/R13 wall with 1/2" wallboard on the interior performs at about the same level as R9.5-R10 c.i., whereas the same assembly with steel studs runs R6-R6.5.

With a vapor barrier under the slab there is little risk of moisture wicking in to the bottom edge of polyiso (which is hygroscopic) over time unless the basement floods, but in general it's best practice to put some sort of capillary break between the unfaced cut edge of the polyiso and concrete.

We had been planning on using 3/4" Dricore for the flooring (having done little research until now), but now that the time to buy is here, I found the cost had gone up by $2 a panel, so we started looking at DMX 1-step as a way to cut cost (with the added benefit of more headroom). 1" Dricore is currently very close in price to the original, but I was trying to avoid losing the headroom. But I have now had the proper crap scared out of me reading about dew points and required R-value for proper mitigation on the floor :) Three rooms were intended to have carpet, the rest is to be luxury vinyl plank 20mm, or slate tile (bathroom only).

So my questions would be as follows:
  1. Given our climate zone (6, I believe), slab depth and insulation, and general dryness of the basement overall, what is the proper R-value that should be used for the floor, and what would be your recommended layering of materials? Is it reasonable to stick with 1" dricore, or even just do the DMX 1-step, or are those really bad ideas long-term? We will be spending a good deal of time in the basement, so I'm definitely concerned about mold down there.
  2. How concerned should I be about having attached the steel tracks directly to the concrete (and the wood wall, for that matter)? I asked the contractor helping us about vapor barrier / insulation, but he said it wasn't needed.).

An inch of EPS or XPS (used goods is fine, but NOT polyiso) with a half-inch OSB subfloor through screwed to the slab with TapCons would work under rugs. Since the slab has stayed dry and has a vapor barrier underneath it it doesn't need to have the heavy bottom side capillary break that DriCore or similar products usually come with. That stackup is twice as thick as 3/4" DriCore, though, which creates some issues around doors and stairs.

For an uninsulated floor the vinyl plank solution can work. Tile floors with thin-set directly on the slab also works. But in either of those cases the basement air humidity levels will need to be carefully controlled to avoid the smelly-basement problem. The deep subsoil temperatures in your area are about 47F, so the basement air's humidity can't be higher than a 50F dew point for long periods of time without accumulating moisture in any rugs or cardboard boxes resting on an uninsulated floor. In summertime the outdoor dewpoints will average 65F or higher for weeks on end, so the ventilation air will need to be mechanically dehumidified. If the basement temperature rises to 70F in summer that works out to about a 44% relative humidity ( or lower), if it's coasting along at 65F even in summer that would be 52% RH limit.

With the vapor barrier under the slab the steel studs are fine from a moisture susceptibility point of view.

Jeremy Biggs

Reaction score
Wow, thank you Dana, that is incredibly helpful! A couple followup questions, if you are willing:

1. We are definitely not in a position to move the exterior stud walls to make room for more insulation, so the choice we have is to leave it as is or insulate between the studs with batting. Between the two, which would you consider the lesser evil? If you have a sense of how certain we could expect moisture issues in one or both of these scenarios, that would be helpful :)
  2. I think we'll be opting for the 1" EPS + OSB for the subfloor. You didn't mention a vapor barrier between the foam and the concrete. I assume that is not needed because of the barrier under the slab?
  3. Your paragraph about dewpoionts started out talking about uninsulated flooring. I assume you were addressing the DMX 1-step at that point? Also, if we stick with 1" EPS + OSB for subfloor, does that mean we would not need mechanical dehumidification (summer or winter), or would it mean we would only need it a smaller percentage of time?
Again, so grateful for your help!

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Wow, thank you Dana, that is incredibly helpful! A couple followup questions, if you are willing:

1. We are definitely not in a position to move the exterior stud walls to make room for more insulation, so the choice we have is to leave it as is or insulate between the studs with batting. Between the two, which would you consider the lesser evil? If you have a sense of how certain we could expect moisture issues in one or both of these scenarios, that would be helpful :)
  2. I think we'll be opting for the 1" EPS + OSB for the subfloor. You didn't mention a vapor barrier between the foam and the concrete. I assume that is not needed because of the barrier under the slab?
  3. Your paragraph about dewpoionts started out talking about uninsulated flooring. I assume you were addressing the DMX 1-step at that point? Also, if we stick with 1" EPS + OSB for subfloor, does that mean we would not need mechanical dehumidification (summer or winter), or would it mean we would only need it a smaller percentage of time?
Again, so grateful for your help!

If you can afford it, add 1-2" of CLOSED CELL spray polyurethane directly on to the existing polyiso, sealing it to the steel studs, covering the interior side of exterior stud edge. That would bring the foam R up to R12, which would then be good enough to fill up the remaining ~3" of stud bay with rock wool batt insulation without concerns of excess moisture/frost accumulation. In my area the installed cost of 1" of closed cell foam was about a buck a square foot prior to the pandemic, a buck-fifty per square foot for the greener HFO blown versions. Using DIY closed cell kits runs about $1.25/foot per inch of depth.

Steel studs need wider batts than wood framing since the web is only a few hundredths of an inch thick (instead of 1.5"), but they are pretty common in commercial construction- you can probably find them or order them from the local box store. Be sure to use a thickness that fills up the remaining space completely (free air movement inside the space increases moisture transfer risk) , with a compression fit. The thickness of the batt depends on how much closed cell foam you're using. R15s can fill up to 3.5" of depth, but the soundproofing batts are good for up to 3". Common 2x4 steel studs are a full 4" deep (not 3.5", like milled wood), 2x3 steel studs a full 3" (instead of 2.5" for wood.)

Without the additional foam R you're kind of screwed, since the water vapor of fiber insulation is very high, and it's only somewhat air retardent. With R15 on the inside of R6, the foam/fiber boundary will dwell well below the indoor air's dew point temperature for weeks or months on end during winter, accumulating moisture from the indoor air, even if you air-seal the wallboard (recommended for performance, even if not perfect).

With a vapor barrier under the slab and no evidence of bulk water incursions there is no point to adding a separate vapor barrier above the slab.

With an inch of EPS under the subfloor you can treat the indoor RH just as you would upstairs. In most homes mold wouldn't become a hazard until it's above 60% RH, which generally won't happen in a home that uses any type of air conditioning. The cooling loads of basements are usually low or negative, but active ventilation of the basement with the drier upstairs air air (a 10- 20 cfm continuous ventilation fan is usually good enough for a 1000' basement) rather than ventilating with humid outdoor air would be good enough. Otherwise, a 70 pint room dehumidifer keeping it <60% RH will take care of it unless actively ventilating with outdoor air.

Jeremy Biggs

Reaction score
Dana, thank you so stinkin much for sharing your knowledge so quickly and freely. We will plan to use the closed cell spray and rockwool batting, and we'll do our best to air seal the drywall. Our studs appear to be uncommon 3.5in variety, but it sounds like that's ok. I feel much better knowing I've done as much as we can (given where we are now) to mitigate future issues. You may well have guaranteed our family's enjoyment of our finished basement for many extra years :) All the best to you, Dana!

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Dana, thank you so stinkin much for sharing your knowledge so quickly and freely. We will plan to use the closed cell spray and rockwool batting, and we'll do our best to air seal the drywall. Our studs appear to be uncommon 3.5in variety, but it sounds like that's ok. I feel much better knowing I've done as much as we can (given where we are now) to mitigate future issues. You may well have guaranteed our family's enjoyment of our finished basement for many extra years :) All the best to you, Dana!

Yer welcome!

With 3.5" deep cavities partially filled with closed cell foam you'll probably be able to use the fire & soundproofing batts.

As for air tightness installing a carefull taped & detailed layer of 2mil nylon "smart" vapor retarder (eg: Certainteed MemBrain) under the drywall would be a pretty good "belt AND suspenders" approach. Nylon has variable vapor permeance, and become vapor tight when the proximate air in the cavity is dry (which it will be when the colder face of the foam at the foam/fiber interface begins to condense), slowing the transfer of moisture coming through the drywall. If the humidity in the rock wool layer rises the nylon becomes vapor open, allowing the moisture to escape back into the room. This works best when it's detailed as an air barrier since moving air can transport moisture orders of magnitude greater in quantity than vapor diffusion alone.

It's also important to air seal the bottom channel to the slab with a bead polyurethane caulk designed to adhere well to concrete. There are several products that work, but the "self leveling" type used for sealing cracks in floor slabs might be too soupy to seal if the slab is too uneven. (That type will do fine with 1/8" gaps between slab & steel, but might not make it at 1/4" or greater.)

With or without the vapor retarder, DO paint the drywall with a standard interior latex paint, which reduces the rate of vapor diffusion by quite a bit compared to unpainted drywall. A layer of primer + 2 color coats is typically ~3-5 perms, which is pretty good when air tight.

Jeremy Biggs

Reaction score
Hey Dana, just came here again to double-check my materials before I start ordering and found you gave yet more valuable info :) Thanks! Good to know about sealing the track to the concrete, I had not intended to do that. I'll look into the vapor retarder. We've got the spray foam guy coming in the next two or three weeks to do that work, so I'm hoping to start working on these new pieces soon after that. I'll try and remember to report back on results!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks