Stupid newbie P-Trap question

Users who are viewing this thread

notbillcosby

Reaction score
I rushed into buying a sink and vanity off of Craigslist before knowing what I was getting myself into. It's all simple enough, except for one minor issue... The new sink's drain tailpiece sits several inches closer to the wall than my old one did, making the J-bend of my P-trap fixture about an inch and a half too close to the wall to line up with the pipe it's supposed to screw into.

jbend.jpg

For whatever reason, the picture got rotated when i posted it here. Tilt your head to the left and you'll be in business.

I'd need a J-bend that's a real real tight U shape to make this work. Does that exist and/or is it even up to code to do that? I'm 100% new to this and thought some basic handyman skills would allow me to swap out a simple basin and cupboard, but I guess not! All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Perhaps the simplest option would be to move the sink a few inches to one side or the other so that the trap will line up when turned. Alternatively, the existing trap adapter could be cut off and a new one installed closer to the wall. Use care to make the cut in the right place or you will need to open up the wall to replace the sanitary tee.

notbillcosby

Reaction score
Dang. I take it there isn't just a tight U-pipe that'd work? Moving the sink wouldn't be the biggest deal in the world, but it'll require moving the medicine cabinet mounted above it to keep things centered and that opens up a bunch more things I didn't want to work on. Modifying the pipes coming out of the wall sounds like it's maybe a little out of my league.

ShockHazard

Reaction score
Can you pan out more?

I don't understand why the pipe coming off the drain is so close to the wall.

The drain is at least a foot from the wall to begin with, right?

notbillcosby

Reaction score
Here's more pictures. And no, the drain from the sink is about 7 or 8 inches from the wall. :-|
IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

Sorry again for the rotating. Can't really figure out why it's doing that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the sink is "directly" in front of the wall opening, you can use a "bottle trap" which does not have ANY bend in it. The trap function is internal to its housing, but for that reason it cannot be "rotated".

Reach4

Reaction score
Search for "offset tailpiece" , and see if any of the results inspire you.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could 45 to the right where the drain comes out of the wall. Come out far enough so the trap will line up

Reach4

Reaction score
You could 45 to the right where the drain comes out of the wall. Come out far enough so the trap will line up

Is that thread already coming out of the wall a common thread?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
IF the sink is "directly" in front of the wall opening, you can use a "bottle trap" which does not have ANY bend in it. The trap function is internal to its housing, but for that reason it cannot be "rotated".

+1
hj has the right idea.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello Not,

It looks like the fittings at the wall are already glued and that makes it harder to try another way. From the wall use a 45 degree fitting and you can meet the p trap connection somewhere at the corner of the triangle. What? Take a look at the pictures. I had something similiar but for a kitchen sink but the drain was much further from the wall as you seem to have.

Shark bit.jpg45.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like John, I would have glued either a street 22 or a street 45 with a new trap adapter.
There is plenty of room there to cut off the existing and for a new fitting there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks