Stumped on a Kenmore Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Jake Blues

Reaction score
We have a Kenmore Deluxe Demand Water Softener that's at least 10 years old but probably more like 15 or maybe more than that. We have iron in our water.

In the last couple of months, it has stopped consuming salt. I cleaned the venturi, no improvement. I banged around in the salt container looking for a salt bridge, no change.

I surmised that the problem might be that the resin was old. So, I replaced the resin, took everything apart and cleaned everything very well. This was about a week ago.

Since then the refresh has run probably 5 times, and we've been using water at our normal rate. But it's still not working. The salt level isn't going down, and the hardness is at 250 PPM out of the tap according to a test strip.

I'm a bit stumped.

It is possible that the valve motor could be bad. When the regen cycle comes on, it does turn the gear slowly, which makes me think it's working. But I don't know how I'd know if it wasn't working correctly.

I would greatly welcome and appreciate any suggested things to try!

Reach4

Reaction score
In the last couple of months, it has stopped consuming salt. I cleaned the venturi, no improvement. I banged around in the salt container looking for a salt bridge, no change.
So the water level stays at max in the brine tank?

I don't know that unit, but is there a brine line filter that might be clogged? Also, see if there is perhaps a leak that lets air in. See this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/kenmore-no-brine-draw.31384/

After 10 or 15 years, replacing it would not be so bad, but you have so much invested in getting this one going.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
I had a kenmore water softener as well, but doubt it was over 10 years old. My problem was the control panel was right above the salt tank and the circuit board was rusting. So it started not working correctly and some of the buttons stopped working. I gave up because the control panel was about $200 and I decided to invest in a newer, better quality water softener. Of course our hardness is between 800-900ppm so it's a little more important for us to have soft water.

Jake Blues

Reaction score
Thanks, that gives me something to check.

Hmm, I haven't been checking the water level in the brine well but there's probably a few inches in there currently. I did a regen last night and the hardness is down to 120 ppm, which still seems high but it seems like it's at least trying to work.

When I start the regen cycle, there's the tick-tick-tick of the motor and it actuates the gear, and then there's sometimes a sucking sound, which stops after a few seconds. I guess that's the hose in the brine well so I can see whether it takes up water.

I do think we'll replace it/upgrade at some point but trying to limp along on this one for just a little longer if we can...

Old

Reaction score
When this unit regenerates it will first fill the brine tank with water. Start a manual regeneration and watch to see if the brine tank is filling. If it is not filling you either have a clogged brine flow control or there is a problem with the safety float or air check.

Here is a diagram of the venturi assembly:
venturi-assembly.png

Disassemble the assembly and check for debris in the lower flow plug, this is the BLFC. It is common for debris to plug this and prevent water filling the brine tank. Also check the small lower screen for debris.

Open the brine well (the vertical tube inside the brine tank) inside this tube there will be a safety float/air check assembly. Sometimes the bobber gets stuck at the bottom of the float assembly. If this happens the float will only allow a small amount of water in the brine tank before it comes up and stops the water flow. The bobber needs to be able to freely slide up high on the shaft.

Sometimes the float valve gets stuck in the up position this will prevent the system from refilling too. If this happens you might be able to disassemble it and free up the mechanism. Here is a diagram:
P8070020-00002.png

Good luck

Eric Wesson

Reaction score
If you disconnect the tube that runs to the brine tank, you can test whether you can blow into it and suck water out. It should flow both ways.

Have a glass of water on hand if you get a mouthful of brine.

Also, there is a disc in the head that rotates orifices around to run the regen. The surfaces of this disc are designed to wear. I'd be surprised if it lasted 15 years, depending on how often it regenerates - and maybe even how much abrasive sediment there is in the water.

The motor could easily have gotten wasted, too. If you lift the top, you can see where the motor spins a big gear; run a regen and see if the motor is turning the gear.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks