STUMPED: double sink backup problem

Users who are viewing this thread

William Kidd

Reaction score
I can run water all day into either the left sink or right sink of my double kitchen sink. But... if I let water accumulate in the left sink, the one with a Disposal, and then turn on the Disposal while the sink has water in it, then water backs up into the right sink (the one without the disposal) and I'll see crud come up into the right sink.

So, the layout is:

Left sink has disposal connected to it
Right sink has dishwasher drain tube connected to it (it's code around here to do it that way)
Both Left and Right sinks drain into a Y connector that goes to the main sink drain.

Again the problem comes up when I have water filled up in the left sink and then turn on the disposal. I almost immediately get water backing up into the right sink.

Additional info. The disposal is an Insinkerator 777. It runs freely and doesn't overheat.
The dishwasher is draining fine. No water accumulates in the bottom of the dishwasher.

We have a very long run from the kitchen sink to the mains. A little over 100'. We have had to snake it before, but we did that when we couldn't get anything to drain. In this case both sinks drain fine, unless there is water in the Left sink and the disposal is on.

Stumped

Last edited:

William Kidd

Reaction score
The two most likely causes are,
1. The two sinks are NOT connected properly, or
2. The drain is partially clogged
Thanks,

I'll snake the drain ... if it continues I'll upload a picture of the sink connections ... basically just 2 pvc pipes going down into a Y fitting and then out

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks