Studor vent underneath upstairs shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumboutofNecessity

Reaction score
Hello,

I am installing a new drain for an upstairs shower. I'm not going to use the old 1.5" galvanized pipe (which is not vented properly anyway) and attaches to the CI soil/stack (home was built in the 60's). I have a 2" PVC drain pipe on the first floor that I'd like to have this new shower drain into. The problem is venting. I don't have any reasonable way to put a vent out the roof.

So, that said, I'm wondering if it is okay to have a studor vent underneath the shower in the room in the basement. Wondering if there would be any code issues since it is technically below the flood line of the shower. I'm thinking that if the entire basement floods and blocks the vent, I will be minimally concerned about any venting issues related to the shower.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate the information from this site - it is helped immensely.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am installing a new drain for an upstairs shower.
1. The new shower will be on the main floor, which is right above the basement?

2. You may want to integrate the toilet and lavatory drainage into this plan. Commonly showers are vented with wet venting via the lavatory.

PlumboutofNecessity

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry - what you said was exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Regarding the comment above about integration into lavatory drainage. My only chance of doing that without busting into CI pipes would be to vent into that cutoff steel pipe (the old 1.5" drain for the tub that used to be upstairs which was not vented - was kind of an S trap configuration) [shown in image]. This would probably not be a good idea because there are two toilets upstream from this point and the thought of some of that splash potentially getting into what would be my vent makes me a little uncomfortable.

Attachments

• cut-pipe - hil.jpg
    cut-pipe - hil.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 282

Cadobe

Reaction score
AAV's need to be accessible for intake air and for replacement.
Located 4" above the trap arm or higher.
Hi Terry, are the studor vents allowed in WA? I live in Lacey and couldn't find any reference to that if those are approved by our city. I've tried to get in touch with one of the inspectors and they just pass me out to any other plumber in my area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks