Studor Valve Odor

Users who are viewing this thread

thrumyiz

Reaction score
Terry,
Our 3-level piling home was completed about 7 months ago. We didn't find out until it was too late that our Plumber was a crook who had to be watched every minute. I was acting as onsite project manager to protect our investment, so he didn't get away with much. But he insisted that the only way to plumb two areas of this house was with two studor vents, one in the level 2 laundry and one hidden behind the master cabinetry on an outside wall of a bumpout area/level 3. He guaranteed that we would never smell a thing. We almost immediately had a problem with the 2nd level vent. He fixed it before final walk-through, but I have no idea how. The sewer odor is now overpowering in the master bath. I am at my wits end and don't have a clue how to handle this issue. Even if it were possible to pull the cabinets out and put a charcoal filter cap on the vent, I would assume that it would be necessary to replace the filter at certain intervals. Is there a workable option for us?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, two things re an AAV: it MUST be accessable, since it will fail eventually - it can't be burried in a wall - it needs an access panel; and, an AAV should ONLY let air in, not out. So, if it is truely smelling because the AAV is leaking, it should be replaced.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wonder if one of the AAVs is malfunctioning. The main concern plumbers have about them is that since they are a mechanical device, they will eventually fail. For that reason, they are never supposed to be enclosed or otherwise inaccessible. Sounds like at least one of yours is. My suggestion is to gain access to them, then replace each of the one at a time to see if that cures the problem. When using AAVs, there still must be at least 1 conventional vent to the outside of the house. Like 'em or not, but they still should not emit odor.

http://www.studor.com/products/box-grill/RecessSpecSheet.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

thrumyiz

Reaction score
Wow....this guy was worse than I ever imagined. It appears that we're just beginning to see the consequences of the "Crooked Builder Domino Effect". I really believed just being on site 24/7 would save us. Actually, it did for the most part. But this one is going to haunt us for the rest of our lives. The one thing I did right - something that has saved us every time, thus far - is taking very detailed rough-in photos. I'll locate the vents on the photos and we'll cut a panel into the cabinet backs. Here is my fear. I followed your link. He absolutely did NOT install a studor vent, or anything similar for that matter! He installed a piece of pvc with a cap on it. This is bad, isn't it???

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is it bad?
Well, it's not vented, and it may be that the traps are siphoning themselves dry.

If the pipe is in the wall behind the counters, I would suggest that the vented panel be on the wall between the lower and upper cabinets. I guess the plumber didn't want to spend the "extra" amount for the AAV. They are kind of pricey considering how cheap plastic pipe would have been.
I find that it's cheaper and quicker to just run the vent up through the roof.
The only time that it kinda makes sense would be on an island.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Considering what you have found, I'm thinking it might be wise to have a plumber examine you home and see what it would take to properly vent everything. It seems to me you may be in pretty deep for a DIY job.

thrumyiz

Reaction score
My thanks to you all for helping me pinpoint the issue and begin the resolution process. You are right, Gary, when you suggest that we not try this as a DIY job! I've called another plumber to come in and install both studor vents and access panels after I determine the exact location from the rough-in photos. This site and all of you are amazing!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Were was the building inspector when this job was being done? Someone had to sign off before the home was closed in.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOU were the "project engineer", but what were YOUR credentials? Just because you were there was NO guarantee that the work was done properly. ALL you could do was make sure it looked nice. If YOU allowed him to install caps on the vents instead of Studor vents, and that they were installed in the correct locations, then you were NOT a very good superintendant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks