Stud Finder

Users who are viewing this thread

White Tiger

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I can find a stud finder that will work on plaster walls and be accurate. THANKS!:confused:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
There's no such thing as an accurate stud finder for plaster walls.

Long version:

The backside (inside face) of a plaster wall has big lumps of plaster, oozing through the lathe; that's how the plaster stays stuck to the lathe. So there's a lot of variation in how thick the plaster is, and that confuses the heck out of a studfinder.

What are you trying to hang?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might have the best luck with a magnetic nail finder, but it won't be wonderful.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Never had any luck with this. This could be one of those million dollar ideas for the person that can figure it out.

I have the expensive Zircon stud finder and it's the best that I've found. It has trouble finding studs over plaster veneer!

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks