Stuck Moen Tub Spout with pipe adaptor

Users who are viewing this thread

CJDR

Reaction score
I’m working on my first big home remodel project and I’ve made a couple of mistakes with the tub spout. This is what happened:

Without realizing it, I bought a Moen tub spout that had a threaded attachment aaaallllll the way at the front of the spout near the diverter the copper pipe on the wall did not have the necessary threaded female end. So I went and bought a slip-on adapter for the pipe with the female end. I’d already measured incorrectly once, so I wanted to fit the pipe before I cut off any more of the copper. The problem is, the spout screws on and the adapter can spin a bit on the copper pipe. So, the spout now sits about 1/2’ off the wall but I can’t get the spout to spin in or out and the adapter that I think is the problem is actually inside the spout.

Is there any way to fix this or am I just doomed?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What is the rest of the piping? I would be using all copper, so it would just be a matter of removing the piece that it too short and installing what is needed to finish the job.

CJDR

Reaction score
What is the rest of the piping? I would be using all copper, so it would just be a matter of removing the piece that it too short and installing what is needed to finish the job.

The problem is I can’t get the adapter off because it’s inside the spout and it twists when I try to twist the spout on or off, so I can’t get the adapter to unthread from the spout. The adapter has a small, round lock that pops around it to lock it, but I can’t reach it. Any ideas?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, you can cut off the spout and start over again. Leave it out far enough so that you have something to work with out of the wall.
I'm guessing you used a Sharkbite type fitting that is a push fit onto copper that allows it to spin. It takes a tool to release the fitting from the copper, which of course you now can't do because it's hidden by the spout.

CJDR

Reaction score
Yes, you can cut off the spout and start over again. Leave it out far enough so that you have something to work with out of the wall.
I'm guessing you used a Sharkbite type fitting that is a push fit onto copper that allows it to spin. It takes a tool to release the fitting from the copper, which of course you now can't do because it's hidden by the spout.

Thanks Terry. Will I have to destroy the spout or do you think I can get it apart if I cut down the copper pipe?

How much pipe do I need to leave sticking out of the wall for it to be usable?

moen-3931-terrylove-02.jpg

About three inches work for the slip spout. If you're using a threaded spout, then long, and then measure back to see how much will be cut off.

moen-3931-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks