Symmons Temprol Stuck handle- How to remove? Need your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

dexler

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a symmons (Temprol series?) single handle shower faucet which is leaking on the hot water side, so I need to replace the appropiates parts. My problem is the with the handle, I can't seem to remove it. I first tried penetrating oil a couple of times letting it soak overnight each time with no luck then I tried CLR no luck either. Doing a little reasearch on this site came up with the solution of using a handle puller. So my question for the experts lurking here is, would a handle puller be able to remove a handle shaped like the one in the following pictures? From the pictures I have seen online of handle pullers it would seem to me they would have difficulty getting a good grip using the center pin on a non flat surface.

symmons-temptrol-hacks-04.jpg

symmons-temptrol-hacks-02.jpg

symmons-temptrol-hacks-03.jpg

If so, will any particular handle puller handle (pun intended) :) the job or do I need a specific one? Any recommendation on which one? Also in the case I can't remove the handle and have to call a professional, what is the ball park figure a plumber is likely to charge me for this type of job? Thank you.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add this I did remove the set screw in the beginning and pour some penatrating oil in the hole in case anyone asks if I already did this.

symmons-temptrol-hacks-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I'm on a type-a-thon tonight

Good pictures; wish everyone would start threads like this, makes for an easier response. In situations like these where the use of penetrating oil is not helping or otherwise other methods of removal are not working, the bottom line is that what goes on must come off, even if it breaks. If I was to arrive at the home and was presented with this situation, I would tell the customer that I can pry back and forth gently on the handle to the opposite 4 sides of the hands of a clock. Meaning, twist to 3, then 9, then 12, then 6. I keep repeating this knowing that the handle is chromed pot metal in most cases along with letting the customer know that the handle could break at any time, but that allows access to make the repair. That handle is minimal cost, under $40 in most cases. Taking a center punch and tapping a indenture for the center pin of a handle puller would work too. Not very noticeable and would allow the use of the tool. Once you get the handle off, make sure you use plumber's grease on the splines of that handle, whether a new one or not, on all fine threads in that assembly along with the moving parts. You wouldn't install wheel bearings in a car without grease, same goes for moving parts in plumbing. :cool:

dexler

Reaction score
Thank you for your response, you gave me a lot of good tips. I wll go out and buy a handle puller and try again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
puller

Making a dent in the handle would accomplish nothing. The center pin has to go through a hole in the handle so it can push on the stem underneath. In this case there is no opening for it, so a handle puller would not work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks