Stuck between a few DWV options for bathroom reno

Users who are viewing this thread

thetacticus

Reaction score
I am currently renovating a tiny full bath (~40 sq ft) and keep waffling back and forth on the DWV layout. Essentially, I am very limited in plumbing the WC; in all three options, fittings are maybe an inch apart between the WC and stack. The 2 inch line goes to a tub/shower combo; 2 inch vent not shown.

plumbing.png

Option A is my preferred as its the simplest and most direct but get mixed feedback on having a horizontal 90 degree bend. I have room for a long sweep 90 and going to check the fit of two back-to-back street 45s tonight.

Option B and C are fairly similar. Option B would use a 3x2 WYE and remove the need for a 90; utilizing a 45 instead. No matter what, I think a cleanout would be required on the 2 inch side.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Option A or B is the simplest and using a Long Sweep elbow is required from horizontal to horizontal. Drilling joists at a 45 is a PITA if that is how B will go.

What all is draining down the 2" and How is the 2" terminating / venting?

Reach4

Reaction score
There are 22.5 degree elbows also.

I suspect there are wall and joist constraints.

thetacticus

Reaction score
Option A or B is the simplest and using a Long Sweep elbow is required from horizontal to horizontal. Drilling joists at a 45 is a PITA if that is how B will go.

What all is draining down the 2" and How is the 2" terminating / venting?
The 2" will just be a shower/tub combo. I'll pull a 2" vent off before the p-trap and either tie it back to the stack in the false ceiling or put an AAV in the attic.

Unfortunately, I think I have to drill 45's unless I add 3 90's. The joists cross over into another room due to the diagonal door. I have to go through 3 joist bays with A, 2 with B. There is a nice plumbers box where the wye and closet bend go.

1659722206668.png

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks