Stuck Bathtub Diverter and Faucet as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

jackiechan

Reaction score
Hey all,

My diverter got jammed midway. I tried to remove the faucet by turning it counter clockwise but no luck. There isn't a screw underneath so I think its type that is removed by twisting. How can I remove this faucet? Is it stuck because the diverter is halfway? Here is what it looks like http://i.imgur.com/h1OYy.jpeg

Thanks

Nestork

Janitorial Technician
Reaction score
Jackie:

No, the fact that the diverter is jammed shouldn't affect you're being unable to remove that spout. It still should screw off.

What you need to do is remove all that caulk around the base of the spout, tho. If you don't have a razor scraper, then grip a single edge razor blade in the jaws of a needle nose style pair of locking pliers, and use that to remove all that caulk. THEN you should be better able to remove the spout.

Also, take a flashlight and a mirror and see if you can read any manufacturer's name molded into the plastic on the underside of the spout. If there's a name there, it'll be near that back of the spout near the wall (right about where the set screw would be if yours were a slip-on spout).

That's because if it's a Moen, you can get a diverter repair kit for that spout free from Moen. Their repair kit for a standard Moen 3931 slip on spout is Moen Part # 10644 but it has a different knob than your spout does. I don't know if other companies offer repair kits for their diverter spouts, but I expect that if Moen does, other companies would too.

jackiechan

Reaction score
I suspect that the faucet is rusted so thats why i can twist it. Any tips on removing the corrosion in order to remove the faucet?

Edit: I already removd the caulk with a box knife

Last edited:

Nestork

Janitorial Technician
Reaction score
Well, can you get any WD40 or liquid wrench on the threads?

Can you post a picture of the end of the spout looking up so that we can see the mechanism in the end of the spout that shuts off the water flow and diverts it to the shower head?

I'm thinking if it's a Moen, you might not even need to remove the spout. You could replace all the parts associated with the diverter where the spout is.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Even if it is rusted on (one good reason to not use galvanized pipe - use brass!), it should still unscrew. You may just need a longer lever! If you're going to replace the spout, try sticking the handle of a long screwdriver up the spout as a lever. A strap wrench might or might not get enough grip, but if you have one, you could try that first. Last, if you're going to replace it, you could try a big pipe wrench (it WILL scratch it up). Well, maybe not last, you could cut the outer part off to expose the fitting in the spout, then split it with a saw.

PB Blaster works pretty good at penetrating rusted fittings - WD40 probably won't do much, but wouldn't hurt.

If the end of the spout is behind the tile and the end isn't round, it may not unscrew. It should be installed after the tile, but if it wasn't and was tiled up to, you may need to cut it all off and hope a new one will cover the mess.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks