Stubborn Light Fixture

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYer101

Reaction score
I don't know who to ask except experienced electricians...

I've got a light fixture that I cannot remove (I just bought the house and want to change the bulb). I think I found the same model at Home Depot and read the instructions, but I can't get it off.

A photo is attached. I've unscrewed the brass nuts on either side, but still can't get the thing to come apart. I've tried pulling harder than I should and twisting, but I'm happy to try more.

I'm sure it's much simpler than I imagine, but I also wonder if it got glued shut or something. I'm fine with destroying the fixture and putting in a new one, I just don't know where to drill holes or whatever (after shutting off the breaker, of course...) to get the thing apart.
IMG_1476.JPG
Thank you for any suggestions you have!

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Try lifting and turning the bottom piece of glass until it will slide out without breaking and cutting you....take out the bulb and any screws you see inside there.

DIYer101

Reaction score
Dave, I just tried your idea but the glass is secured and won't go up/in. Thank you though - that was a great idea!

I might end up just breaking that piece of glass if necessary so I can see inside...

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not familiar with the fixture, but after removing the nuts, I would pry from a corner. I would use perhaps a putty knife under my pry tool to save the painted surface.

My suspicion is that the painter got paint into the crack which is serving as glue. I am expecting that once you get it started, the cover will peel off.

An alternative would be to drive a narrower putty knife horizontally into the crack all around to break the paint.

DIYer101

Reaction score
I am not familiar with the fixture, but after removing the nuts, I would pry from a corner. I would use perhaps a putty knife under my pry tool to save the painted surface.

My suspicion is that the painter got paint into the crack which is serving as glue. I am expecting that once you get it started, the cover will peel off.

An alternative would be to drive a narrower putty knife horizontally into the crack all around to break the paint.
YESSSSSSS! Had to scrape around and pry a little but it came free, and there's paint all over where it shouldn't be.

Thank you - really appreciate it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks