Stubborn faucet leak from under handle

Users who are viewing this thread

scuba415

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been having an ongoing problem with my Delta kitchen faucet. It is a single handle pullout, about 11 years old. Originally I had a typical slow, constant drip leak coming out of the spout. I changed the seats and springs and fixed that drip. Unfortunately, I then developed a drip coming from under the handle. It is not a constant drip, when you turn off the faucet, water wells up between the cam and the vacuum ball and drips a few drops. Not much water comes out at one time, but when using the faucet constantly the water does add up, and pool around the faucet. It seems that there is some excessive pressure when the faucet is turned off which causes the water to be pushed through the cam-vacuum ball seal, but once that pressure is relived, it stops, as it is not a constant drip.

I got a new cam and packing from delta, they sent me the old version, which has a separate white piece and a black seal, and is intended to be used with the compression ring. They also sent me a newer version, which is dark gray in color, one piece, and is not intended to be used with the compression ring. I have tried both versions; I have used plumber’s putty, but cannot get this leak to stop. Has anybody experienced something like this? I am pretty much out of ideas.

TIA

Cookie

Reaction score
What you are doing their is absolutely no use for plumbers putty. Take it apart and remove all or any of the plumbers putty residue. Pick up a small container of silicone plumber's grease and apply a very light coating to all the threaded parts. Then, try reassembling and adjusting. Did you install a new ball?

scuba415

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I did use the silicone plumbers grease, I just used the wrong term here in the forum. As for the vacuum ball, I have not replaced that yet. Is changing the ball my best option for a fix?

TIA

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What in the world is a "vacuum ball"? Delta uses a stainless steel, or brass, ball depending on where you buy it, but it is NOT a vacuum ball. I also do NOT know what you mean by a "compression ring". The one piece and two piece cam/seal units are interchangeable, but I prefer the one piece version when I can find it. If you have a leak after installing a new cam and seal, then the problem HAS to be with the ball it self, assuming the "adjusting ring" is tightened properly.

scuba415

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice.

So, it seems there are two thoughts here. One, if it is not the cam then it must be the ball. And two, try changing the O rings on the base of the faucet. I will give them both a shot. Thanks again for the replies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks