Structural Plywood Support for drilled studs

Users who are viewing this thread

hoodun

Reaction score
First off I am a rookie DIY plumber.

Has anyone ever used structural plywood to support holes drilled in studs?

I have a king stud I drilled a hole into that is 63%. Initially was planning on using a 3" nominal shoe for it since it is actual 2". Its a 100 year old stud. Though not sure how inspector will like it. Even though it is single story and there are 1" x 8" plank attached from the outside along with cross beams, this is California...

My plan was to put a structural piece of plywood across three studs down to the bottom and up to the angle brace. Then put screws staggered every 3" like a box header. Seem like it would be much stronger than it was and fix the issue of having drilled into the king stud.

Any thoughts?

IMG-20200612-143548.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used structural plywood to support holes drilled in studs?
Plywood is not often the best choice to reinforce a drilled stud, as typically half the plies will be oriented in the wrong direction to help.

However plywood is a reasonable choice for padding out your 2" thick stud to make it 3" thick, so you can use a double stud shoe. Then install a Simpson HSS2-2-SDS3.

That's my suggestion, at least.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks