Stress Cracks In Garden Apt Bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

NDL

Reaction score
I am a big (and tall) guy, whose never had a problem with a metal tub; steel, cast iron, etc

My current garden apartment rental - of 3 weeks - built in the mid 1980's, has a plastic bathtub. Tonight I noticed several small stress cracks developing (3), and I am beside myself.

*If* and *when* you get in and out of the tub, or shift your position in the tub, the bottom creaks; it's mostly sturdy, but there's a minimal amount of flex, and the flex (creak) is audible. The bottom doesn't shift around much, but it does shift/creak in two places.

As luck would have it, it looks as though there are very fine cracks starting. It was bound to happen because the bottom of the tub shifts, and the tub unit is old.

***There's nothing to take a picture of; the cracks are so fine as to be unseen in pictures,*** but close examination and scrutiny will show that they're starting.

I suppose that, over time, these cracks will spread, causing a leak? I also suppose that I will be responsible for footing the bill for the whole damned thing.

Many of the units in this complex have metal tubs; as luck would have it, I have a model with a plastic tub.

I am sorry for rambling; we just moved into the unit three weeks ago; the cracks didn't appear before. I suppose that this is like playing a game of hot potato: you've got an old plastic tub, whose base is mostly supported, yet it creaks in two spots; over time I suppose it will crack, and whoever winds up with the cracked base gets to pay for it.

Any thoughts? Again, there's nothing to take a picture of (yet). Thanks in advance

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Putting aside your thoughts on the tub, owners not renters are responsible for repairs unless your lease says otherwise. I'll let the members who have experience with plastic tubs, I don't, comment on the tub.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Alert the manager/owner.
Without seeing it: It could be what's under the tub, or what's missing under the tub.

Reactions: NDL

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some stress cracks have been there a while. You're looking at the coating over the fiberglass which can be repaired and refinished. Good support does go a long way in preventing movement though.

Reactions: NDL

NDL

Reaction score
Putting aside your thoughts on the tub, owners not renters are responsible for repairs unless your lease says otherwise. I'll let the members who have experience with plastic tubs, I don't, comment on the tub.

Alert the manager/owner.
Without seeing it: It could be what's under the tub, or what's missing under the tub.

Thank you both, for your replies. I did just what you suggested:

Some stress cracks have been there a while. You're looking at the coating over the fiberglass which can be repaired and refinished. Good support does go a long way in preventing movement though.

That is exactly what the maintenance team said. Many thanks for the education; I thought the sight of a stress crack was the death knell of the tub.

It turns out that the cracks are surface only, and action is only necessary if they get worse. Worst case scenario, it needs to be refinished. Thankfully, the entire thing doesn't need to be gutted.

Again...thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks