Straps for PVC DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
What is the best way to strap pvc vents in an attic that are running horizontally(with a slight pitch)? They only run a few inches above the floor, and the ceiling is anywhere from 4 to 6 feet higher then the vent pipes. Should I attached the straps all the way to the roof rafters or is there another way to support these pipes?

Sluggo

Reaction score
Cut blocks of the right heights from 2X4's or 2X6's and toenail them to the floor with nails or screws. Then strap the pipe to those.

Sluggo

Reaction score
You're welcome. Two other tips:
1) Pre-drill the holes in the blocks whether you use nails or screws: it will prevent splitting and make installation easier.
2) Put some construction adhesive on the underside of the blocks to increase stability.

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
One more question. Should I wrap the strap completely around the pipe or just enough to tie into the 2x4 over the pipe and back into the 2x4. Also, what kind of straps do most people use?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just curious, but what is PVC pipe doing in your attic? PVC can only be used for drain lines inside a house. Perhaps you mean CPVC?

DaveHo

Reaction score
OP described these pipes as vents. If they are plumbing vents, I don't believe you are permitted to run them horizontal in the first place.

Sluggo

Reaction score
OP-
If you make the blocks not much wider than the pipe diameter, or you have the blocks under and parallel to the pipe, you can simply put a strap over the top and screw it down on both sides. I see no value in wrapping the strap completely around.

DaveHo-
You can run a vent horizontal as long as that section is at least 6" above flood level of any fixture it serves.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can use PVC for waste and vents most places, and ABS fewer places.
If a vent's horizontal is more than a 1/3 of the total vertical, it needs to be upsized one dimension. Most of the time it's not an issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks