Strapping inside clay sump pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Ponte Anthony

Reaction score
Hi All.

I have a sump pit original to my 1957 house with terracotta lining.

I am installing a second pump which hangs down from the ceiling and need to strap the 1 inch PVC inside the pit (it is Basepump brand, city water powered). If the liner was plastic, I'd screw a strap to the plastic, but since this is terracotta I am really looking for some suggestions and ideas.

I was thinking of hammering some pipe or rebar into the pit and clamp it to that? Thoughts or better ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Anthony

rb750_diagram_grande.jpeg

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
Anthony,

If you are using solid (rigid) PVC pipe I do not see a reason to secure it at all, unless I am missing something. If the pump attaches to and is secured to the floor joist, and the PVC suction pipe drops straight down into the pit from there, I would just let it hang free without support. This will not hinder anything regarding operation or support, unless I have misunderstood what you are trying to accomplish here. I am analyzing your pictorial diagrams above and I don't see why you would really have to secure the pipe at all.

RADAR

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't bother with any extra effort in this case. Unless it is annoying to you. If the PVC pipe starts to swing and buck into the sides of the pit and the noise disturbs you, just buy some of that foam for pipe insulation and wrap it around the pipe like a bumper. There is no other reason to have the suction pipe secured or anchored in the pit.

RADAR

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks