Strange toilet leak

Users who are viewing this thread

DannyDan

Reaction score
Ok maybe not strange and I'm dumb.
My Toto Drake toilet was hissing so I purchased a brand new fill valve assembly (TSU99A.X) and replaced it per the instructions.
Everything seemed fine until I noticed water is leaking out of the bowl and onto the floor, somehow.
I thought perhaps the rubber gasketa between the tank and the bowl were shot (black rubber speckles in the tank), so I replaced those as well.
Now oddly enough, if I shut off the water right after the tank fills up - no leak. So I think it's safe to conclude the seal between the tank and bowl is good?
However, when I open the water valve, I start hearing this strange dripping noise and surely enough the water level in the tank starts going down.

I feel like I probably missed something trivial, but what?

Thanks in advance...

Reach4

Reaction score
The refill tube needs to be held above the overflow tube with a clip -- not going down the tube.

The refill height should be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the overflow tube.

But that does not explain the water dripping onto the floor.

DannyDan

Reaction score
But that does not explain the water dripping onto the floor.
I'm starting to suspect that perhaps the issue was never the refill valve, but rather the flapper (which I currently don't have a replacement part, so I shut off the water for the time being). It's possible that messing around with removing the original valve has disturbed the delicate seal between the tank and the bowl, as the rubber washer was already disintegrating into the bowl when I opened the lid. So that may have caused the leak to the floor, which I may have corrected by replacing the rubber washers. Strange though that the water was pooling in the front of the bowl, like it was leaking from the bowl, not the tank...

Andrew Mark

Reaction score
..Ok maybe not strange and I'm dumb.
My Toto Drake toilet was hissing so I purchased a brand new fill valve assembly (TSU99A.X) and replaced it per the instructions.
Everything seemed fine until I noticed water is leaking out of the bowl and onto the floor, somehow.
I thought perhaps the rubber gasketa between the tank and the bowl were shot (black rubber speckles in the tank), so I replaced those as well.
Now oddly enough, if I shut off the water right after the tank fills up - no leak. So I think it's safe to conclude the seal between the tank and bowl is good?
However, when I open the water valve, I start hearing this strange dripping noise and surely enough the water level in the tank starts going down.

I feel like I probably missed something trivial, but what?

Thanks in advance...
Better yet, you should call a plumber; otherwise, the leak may become worse. There are several reasons for the leakage, like when the toilet flapper remains in good condition but its functioning might not be appropriate, or when there is a chance for the toilet water supply line leak. To fix the leakage, it is necessary to understand the reason. Call an emergency plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks