Strange Toilet Drain Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve Kaufer

Reaction score
Hello. I have a strange toilet issue that I can't seem to figure out. I have a 2-story home on a septic. All the drains and toilets in the house (with the exception of a small sink downstairs) are draining properly. The toilet I am having trouble with is on the second story (which is built over my garage). My adult son reported a clogged toilet, and said when he tried to use the plunger, water suddenly came running out from under the base of the toilet. That water then leaked down in the ceiling of my garage, so I cut that piece of drywall out (directly below drain) to repair it.

I borrowed a 6' toilet auger from a friend and went to work. When I opened the lid to the toilet I noticed the water was mostly gone, with the exception of a very small normal amount in shallow bottom. I used the auger several times to full length, but met no resistance, and nothing was pulled back up. I flushed the toilet, and once again the bowl filled. I tried using the plunger, but as my son had reported, some water began to seep from around the base of the toilet. I went down to my garage and was looking at the plumbing beneath toilet in the ceiling I had opened up. I saw some dripping coming through the cutout in the plywood subfloor where the drain pipe is at. After about 4-5 minutes, I heard a whoosh of water as if the drain had cleared.... I went back upstairs, and sure enough the bowl is empty again.... I flushed it again, and this time it stayed full again.... Seems like water sits, and then after several minutes, it flushes through???? Not sure if this is maybe a plugged air vent or something for that bathroom? The two sinks in bathroom, and shower/tub are draining okay.

Any ideas? I'm dumbfounded at this point! Thank you again for all your assistance on this forum!!!!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Stoppage is downstream

Water seeping at the toilet base means the wax seal should be replaced

You should take up the toilet, snake the line then reinstall the toilet new wax seal and brass floor flange bolts

Steve Kaufer

Reaction score
Thank you the reply. Clog was infact below the toilet, not sure why the snake didn't reach it since it wasn't that far (maybe just didnt knock it through enough). Replaced with new ring and all is well in the world for now :) Keeping same toilet, seems to have been mostly worry free for many years. Thanks again!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks