Strange problem with baseboard behind toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew Wood

Reaction score
I just moved into a new place and this started happening behind a toilet. Has anyone seen this before?

• Baseboard doesn't feel wet
  • Primer and paint is stripped but not on floor
  • Placed toilet paper on the floor and no water was on it after a week.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20150808_101631.jpg
    20150808_101631.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,763

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
You said your in a new home, so I assume this satin was there when you moved in.
I would think someone got the wall wet (maybe cleaning behind the toilet) and it caused a stain. If it is dry, paint over it with a stain blocking paint primer (like Kilz) then top coat and I'll bet that's the last you see of it.

Andrew Wood

Reaction score
The beadboard and new baseboard was put up about a month after moving in which was two months ago. I'm just confused how the caulk looks damaged and the water is around the pipe, not directly below.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Okay. Maybe leak inside the wall? Can you pull the escutcheon plate/cover and see if anything is wet around or below that fill line? How hard would it be to pull off the baseboard (is a short piece)?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
It's not the color stain I would expect to see with a water leak - but I don't have any other ideas.
Maybe one of the Pros will see this post and have a better idea.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it a painted metal escutcheon? If the escutcheon is old it will react with the copper. If ur flapper is shot cold water will always be running and condensation will occur. I suspect rust from the escutcheon due to condensation

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks