Strange loop/ no vent pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tvizzle

Reaction score
Has anybody seen this before? Would you run a vent through the roof if you were gutting the kitchen anyway?

This house is full of craftsmanship. I wish I had a picture of how the 1 1/4" lav is plumbed with flex pipe to the glavanized 1 1/2" stub with a tube of caulk

Attachments

• IMG_5750.JPG
    IMG_5750.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 564

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is somebody's idea of a quick way to install a loop vent, and has absolutely not effectiveness or function. I doubt they would have done it if a vent out the roof were an option, but if it is, that is ALWAYS the preferable way.

Tvizzle

Reaction score
Anybody know the proper way to fix it? We're putting in a new kitchen so no worries on drywall. There is easy crawl space access, and the sink is centered under the kitchen window.

Can I just santee up and vent around the kitchen window? I don't think I've ever seen a vent pipe that close to the roof edge...

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Wow reminds me of a blind vent some so called mechanic showed me in 1970

It is a straight pipe leading up from the drainage tapped tee and gores about 4 feet high and has a cap on it

Useless but the inspector cant see how far it goes or where it connects so its call a blind vent same thing you have here

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks like you have 1.5" pipe there. New kitchens use 2" pipe and then 1.5" for the trap and trap arm.
You can run the vent through the roof, the most common over the years, or you could use an AAV for venting.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You don't go through the roof at the exterior wall. Once the vent has made it into the attic, install a bend to route it to a more logical location to penetrate the roof.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
This is probably what they were going for, but (sadly) didn't really get the picture or understand how it was supposed to work:

FH03OCT_ISLANSI_01.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Can I just santee up and vent around the kitchen window? I don't think I've ever seen a vent pipe that close to the roof edge...

sink_dw.jpg

On an outside wall, you normally do run the vent past the window, up the wall and out through the roof. Almost all homes in Washington State will have a 1.5" vent on one side of the window above the kitchen sink going through the roof.
Most homes here have at least three vents through the roof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks