Strange gap between subfloor layers beneath shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Kristi Kearney

Reaction score
image.jpg

Hello!

My husband and I are remodeling a small bathroom in a newly purchased home built in 1971. We have noticed a few shortcuts made with electrical wiring so we want to be ultra sure we do the right thing with the bathroom. All materials are purchased and ready to go.

The issue—> There was previously a fiberglass one piece surround shower that we removed without any issue. Upon inspecting the floor, it seems that there’s an additional single, floating, layer of 1/2 inch subfloor that has a hole cut out for the drain pipe. I assume they did this so the shower was level with the floor and there wasn’t a big 1-1.5 foot drop step down into the shower.

It is sturdy to walk on, however it seems unsafe to put a new shower base there with such a flimsy single layer- especially with this random hole cut for the drain. The wood appears to be in pretty good shape.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I could leave it, but I don’t know it it’s ok in the long run. Should we remove this layer and if we do, how do we add additional support so we can correctly elevate the floor to meet the edge of the tile?

Thank you- photo attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 176

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
looks normal to me. the hole is a little big though. Don't know what you want ? You want the shower sunken down a foot ?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
She said something about a one foot to a foot and a half drop? Obviously there is space between the floor and ceiling below for floor joists . Who knows too little info

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally the shower sets on the 3/4" plywood and the 5/8" flooring butts up to the shower which covers where the shower meets the plywood.
The drain you have will need to be cut off and a new drain for the new shower. I'm guessing somebody raised the floor under the shower? I don't expect to see that in a bathroom.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
probebly got someone to fix it she sounded a bit confused of what it looked like .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks