Strange behavior - must be spring

Users who are viewing this thread

mar4thbpos

Reaction score
I have an in-ground sprinkler system with 7 zones. It is at least 14 years old and is run by a RainBird RC-7A controller. Yesterday, I turned it on first time this year. Zone 1 heads popped up and sprayed as normal then shut down about a minute later. Timer is set 10 mins. I reset and tried again but nothing happened. I moved the controller to Zone 2 and tried again, no response. Leaving the system turned to Zone 2, I went to the back yard. A short time later my wife tells me the sprinklers had turned on and were running normal! But, by the time I got to the front yard, they too had prematurely shut off. Each time the Controller was on AUTO and each Zone was set 10-15 minutes. I have not been able to get any Zone in the system to work since then.

I have been trying to pinpoint what is causing the problem. Admittedly, I don’t know a lot about sprinkler systems although I have changed out sprinkler heads. To me, it seems like it could be something to do with the old RC-7A controller. Or could it be a pump or valve that might be causing this? Could anyone suggest where I might focus my troubleshooting?

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Bad contacts, maybe. This sort of controller can have that problem. It's fixable, but not what I would be recommending, on account of Rainbird discontinuing the clock.

mar4thbpos

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. Someone suggested to me today that it could be a fuse that is connected to the timer. That can be checked fairly easily. I agree it is not worth putting a lot time/effort into trying to fix it. But, I just want to determine that it is not something simple like..well...a fuse that is the problem. However, I would agree with you and I think I see a new digital controller in my near future. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks