Strange 5" clay pipes 6 inches below surface

Users who are viewing this thread

400enzo

Reaction score
I was doing so digging to make a concrete footing, but to my surprise, I hit on some clay pipes just 6 inches below the surface (see photos). I recall hitting some isolated clay pipes somewhere else in my backyard before, and I think they are the same. The clay pipes are about 5 inches in diameter.

My property (originally build in 1964) is in the bay area in California, and the property passed the Private Sewer Lateral (PSL) program. I want to break and get rid of the clay pipes, but I want to make sure that it is safe and I am not missing anything. My questions are:
  • Seems weird that there are still clay pipes underground, what could it be?
  • Also really weird that it is only 6 inches below the surface. If it is sewer drainage pipe, shouldn't it be deeper below the surface? Like at least 18 inches?
  • Since the property passed the Private Sewer Lateral (PSL) program, can I assumed that clay pipes are no longer in use? My guess that it would have been replaced with other materials.
  • Since property is built in 1964, I do not think clay pipes were in use then. Clay pipes are more common before 1950s, so can I assume the clay pipes are not used?
Summary: I have clay pipes 6 inches below surface, and I want to remove/break them. Can I assume the clay pipes are probably unused pipes?

Aqkxzm71_t.jpg
Ynn0WJZI_t.jpg
XxO7gcJh_t.jpg

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
They might be drain tile. Do they run parallel to the exterior walls?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I would wait until a heavy rain then see if there is water flowing from the pipe

By the way my main sewer once it exists the foundation is 5" clay

Would be a shame to remove it and then say oops

400enzo

Reaction score
They might be drain tile. Do they run parallel to the exterior walls?

They do run parallel to exterior walls, also parallel to the concrete foundation slab. They run about 30 inches parallel from the foundation slab. The pipes are also right under bricks pavers.

There's also a gutter near by, that could be the opening for the clay pipes? Unfamiliar with drain tile. Does that mean the pipes could be for drainage?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Also really weird that it is only 6 inches below the surface. If it is sewer drainage pipe, shouldn't it be deeper below the surface? Like at least 18 inches?
I would suspect those pipes were for carrying gutter or ground water.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Clay pipe still made today and installed on new work . so no 1964 it was very common . If they were abandoned then unless someone is energetic why remove them? PSL neverheard of it probebly a local thing so read up on that! Camera was a good suggestion

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The family home I grew up in also had those clay sewer lines. They are still in good condition and in constant use.
250 feet of 4" ID clay sewer line out to the city sewer.
I would leave them alone.

Those lines were also installed in the 60's.
I did add an outside cleanout recently and they do make fittings for the clay lines still.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks