Stopping a flush valve leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Gwr

Reaction score
Good day folks.
I have been working on my Glacier Bay for about a week now.
I have installed several brands of flappers. I have installed a new flush valve kit. The only one I can find is the Fluid master brand for a three inch flapper.
I have added food coloring to the tank. It continues to leak. I allowed it to set overnight, now the whole tank is empty. It all leaks into the bowl. No exterior leaks.
I removed the new flush valve and sanded the inside and outside the tank where the flapper seats to the tank. I reinstalled and I'm still have the issue.
My question is what is my next move? Do I try another assymbly or try to get the large nut on the bottom of the tank tighter?
I'm concerned about getting it too tight and cracking the tank. The instructions say hand tight only.
I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks for your time.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
From your description it must be the seal at the flapper. The large nut seals the tank gasket to the bowl and you said No external leaks.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I have added food coloring to the tank. It continues to leak. I allowed it to set overnight, now the whole tank is empty. It all leaks into the bowl.
The water level falls below the flapper seat of the flush valve, all of the way to the bottom of the tank? Or does it stop higher than that?

Gwr

Reaction score
It goes all the way down. There is maybe 1/4 water.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gwr

Reaction score
From your description it must be the seal at the flapper. The large nut seals the tank gasket to the bowl and you said No external leaks.
Correct, no external leaks. It's leaking into the bowl. The new gasket on the inside of the tank. The new thick rubber gasket on the outside of the tank and sits on the bowl. All new parts.

Gwr

Reaction score
So if it's the new seal, I guess I must have a bad one. I guess take it apart and go get another one?
Sonic shouldn't tighten the nut any tighter?

Gwr

Reaction score
Ahhhhh, I read that you sanded where the flapper seats to the tank. The flapper doesn’t seat to the tank, it seals on the flushvalve, the flushvalve seals to the tank with a nut.

Install a new flushvalve with flapper. Recheck it.
Thanks.
I guess I bought a bad one.
Will get another one and start over.

Gwr

Reaction score
Hopefully these pics uploaded.
This is the replacement part that is leaking.

20210208_100952.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks