Stop Valve Leaking at Stem. New Packing Works Temporarily

Users who are viewing this thread

c_g_lima

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you guys could help me out with some suggestions.

I have a stop valve in the supply line of my water heater that has started leaking at the stem. I thought it would be a simple task of repacking the packing nut, but that does not seem to be working. I am using the graphite type packing rope and have wound it 3 times around the stem a couple of times now. What is going on is that initially the leak stops, but after half a day or so, it comes back and gradually gets worse. That happens even after retightening the nut. Trying to add more packing rope to build up what is already there has not been possible as the rope already in the nut gets all mangled when I remove it, so I am having to start over.

Do I need to use a different type of packing material because this valve is attached to a water heater and consequently gets warm/a little bit hot? Could the packing nut be bad and needing to be replaced if that is even possible? I am turning the nut until I start seeing the packing material come out the top.

I have been thinking if that has something to do with the pressure in the tank. The pressure relieve valve has been working as expected as it is not obstructed.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do I need to use a different type of packing material because this valve is attached to a water heater and consequently gets warm/a little bit hot?
I had good luck with the white PTFE packing cord.

Still, you might just want to replace that valve with a ball valve.

I have been thinking if that has something to do with the pressure in the tank. The pressure relieve valve has been working as expected as it is not obstructed.
That is not it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the shaft of the valve stem is corroded, it can eat through the packing. You might try removing the entire stem and using some fine steel wool, burnishing it smooth and see what happens. If that doesn't work, change the valve.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Truth be told, most folks I've met don't bother rebuilding or repacking valves. And certainly if an attempt to do so had failed they would replace the valve. I think that's what I would do here. Even if you don't know how to solder, I'd trust a new compression or sharkbite more than a valve that's needed to be rebuilt twice.

c_g_lima

Reaction score
Yes, there was some corrosion on the shaft, and I removed most of it with a fine grit sand paper at the second attempt to fix it when I finally decided to remove the handle and the nut off the body of the valve. The first time I didn't do that. There might still be a very thin layer of corrosion left although the shaft is smooth. However, based on what you are saying even that little bit of corrosion left behind might be reacting with the packing material. I might need to go back and completely remove any trace of corrosion.

As far as soldering, I don't feel confident soldering copper pipes. That is a skill I need to work on. Replacing the valve with a compression type is something I could do.

I just need a temporary fix as I am considering replacing this water heater in the next week or two. It is a Rheem unit and has been in service for 15 years now. If I cannot stop it completely, I will be ok with it being manageable. Something like one drop every several minutes. I just need time to get quotes and do some research on what to get.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks