Stirred up Sediment then Pumped Dug Well to Bottom

Users who are viewing this thread

Mattwell

Reaction score
I have a dug well, 17 feet deep with water up to 12 feet.

I sanitized the water system with bleach and during the mixing process I stired up a lot of sediment from the bottom of the well. I let the well sit for the 24 hours and then I began the pump out of the well. I used a sump pump to pump the well down to bottom. When the pump got to bottom there was a heavy layer of sediment in the bottom of the well. the well rebounded in about an hour and now has a chocolate milk appearance. Going on advice in many other threads of new wells I let it settle for 24 hours with no change in sedimentation. Then I tried running the well continuously for 4 hours and the suspended material did not clear. Does anyone have any advice on next steps before calling in a well driller?

The age of the well is 10 years old, the substrate is sand and clay with a high water table. When the well was pumped down there was no leakage happening from any of the casing joints and only water was visible rising at the bottom.

Is all I need is time? or shall I continue to pump this well.... (Dilution is the solution?) or other?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks