Stinky smell help needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Cudos

Reaction score
Ok, we had a cabin built 1.5 years ago. Septic holding tank and all plumbing was inspected and passed, even the cheater valve that was installed for the laundry, which is where I have the problem.

Every time we use the compact washer we get a sewage smell from the cheater valve that fills the room. Vent stack on roof is clear and no smells anywhere else. Need some advice here. Is it because the cheater valve is not very effective? Could there be too much water pressure from the washer hose causing problems? I'm guessing our washer drain should have been vented to the main stack:(.

Any easy fixes here without tearing out walls.

Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What are you referring to as a "cheater valve"?

A drain must have a properly vented trap. Without a trap, sewer gas will come back up the line. Without a vent, the drainage can siphon the water from the trap and then sewer gas will come back up the line.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
You're AAV is the problem, replace it, or vent it properly... Pretty simple.

Cudos

Reaction score
Thanks, I have picked up a new Oatey Air Admittance Valve and will try that, hopefully it was just a defective valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks