Stinky Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Mach8

Reaction score
Anyone heard of or used a product called Stinky Drain Solution? I'm having a heck of a time with a restroom that never gets used. About once a month (twice in the summer months), I walk in from work only to get hit in the face with a big waft of sewer gas. I know, I know... it is just keeping those traps filled. I pour water down the drains (sink and shower - the toilet just gets flushed) and open the windows and it goes away. But when it hits me, it is so thick I can practically taste it. It looks like it is more for commercial buildings - so I was hoping some of you folks have used it??

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Some people add some vegetable oil atop the water to slow evaporation. You could even go 100% vegetable oil I suppose.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The giveaway that this is an advertisement that should be removed is the statement that it "looks like it is more for commercial buildings". NOTHING about the product looks like it is for commercial buildings -- not the size of the bottle or the graphics on it. The seller, like the poster, is from Texas. The seller, like the poster, has exactly one transaction. Evidently a startup business looking for free publicity.

It is so funny how easy it is to spot these advertisements masquerading as questions on forums. People always overreach or say something that no normal person would say.

As Reach points out, a little bit of vegetable oil would do fine.

Nice try, guy. Now it's time for you and your $19.95 (!!!) product to go away.

Mach8

Reaction score
I've done a little research on Veg Oil and have read that it starts to smells bad (not as bad as sewer smell obviously) after about 6 months. I may just pour a little bit into a cup and leave it out in the garage, just to see. We have an issue with cockroaches coming up through the drains here too and I'm not sure using a cooking oil down my drain is the best idea for keeping those giant cockroaches out of my humble home. My grandfather used to use mineral oil, but he had a plumber tell him that mineral oil can loosen the joints (fittings??) by breaking down the sealant. (Full disclosure - this was second hand info and it was right after he had to pay someone to come fix a pipe that flooded out his basement, so take that with a grain of salt!)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks