Sticking flapper on Toto Drake toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric R Simons

Reaction score
I have a Toto Drake that is about 10 years old. The top of the flapper that secures the chain broke. I went to Home Depot and picked out a Korky replacement that was the same size as the old flapper. I installed it and now every now and then it doesn't seal and the toilet runs until I take off the tank lid and push down slightly and turn the flapper slightly to try and seal it. Usually this does the trick and the tank fills and shuts off. I never had an issue with this toilet running before and not sealing. I thought Korky was the exact replacement of the original flapper?? I made sure to shorten the chain and remove the excess. I also bent the flush rod slightly to make sure it's directly over the center of the flapper, so it pulls straight up. Any ideas??

Thanks
Eric

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There needs to be a little slack in the chain when the flapper is down and no chance for a link to get caught underneath the edge. On Toto toilets, they usually use just the lugs to hold it to the overflow tube. Some of the flappers come with both the lugs and a molded in ring to slide over the tube. If you use both, it tends to distort the flapper, and that can make it leak. If it has both, you need to cut out the ring, assuming it has the tabs that fit over the lugs. Also, make sure that they are fully over the tab on the lug and rotate freely rather than potentially getting caught.

It's possible, if the thing got excessively hot sometime during shipment or in the store, that it got distorted, and therefore, is no longer flat, so it won't seal well.

The another thing that can cause it to leak is if there's any crud on the seat, so, lift it up, and feel around the seat to ensure it is smooth with nothing on it.

Since it shuts off if you mess with it, it's not the seal beneath the flush valve, which, if it leaks, could cause the level to drop, and keep the fill valve on.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been using the Korky 3060BP flapper on the older Drake toilets.
Check the handle for freedom of movement. If it starts to stick, it can prevent the flapper from dropping down all the way.

Eric R Simons

Reaction score
There needs to be a little slack in the chain when the flapper is down and no chance for a link to get caught underneath the edge. On Toto toilets, they usually use just the lugs to hold it to the overflow tube. Some of the flappers come with both the lugs and a molded in ring to slide over the tube. If you use both, it tends to distort the flapper, and that can make it leak. If it has both, you need to cut out the ring, assuming it has the tabs that fit over the lugs. Also, make sure that they are fully over the tab on the lug and rotate freely rather than potentially getting caught.

It's possible, if the thing got excessively hot sometime during shipment or in the store, that it got distorted, and therefore, is no longer flat, so it won't seal well.

The another thing that can cause it to leak is if there's any crud on the seat, so, lift it up, and feel around the seat to ensure it is smooth with nothing on it.

Since it shuts off if you mess with it, it's not the seal beneath the flush valve, which, if it leaks, could cause the level to drop, and keep the fill valve on.
Thanks for the info. The chain is definitely not getting caught under the flapper. I also didn't leave excess that might mess up the sealing by piling on top of the flapper. Based on Terry's input below, I might get a new flapper and try again. I only have the type that has two rubber pieces that connect to the overflow tube, no ring. Like I said it seemed to be a perfect replacement. It is free on the lugs and doesn't bind. It's crazy because it never did this before and all I did was replace the flapper. It was only about a 5 minute job. I"ll try a new flapper that Terry suggested and see what happens. Thanks again.

Eric

Eric R Simons

Reaction score
I picked up the proper flapper as indicated by Terry. This new flapper is adjustable. When set to 8, the holes around the perimeter are all closed. The flapper I took out has a couple of holes around the perimeter. The new flapper has a quicker flush. I have to hold the handle down a little bit for a more complete flush. Should I make the chain a little shorter? It's on the 12th link now. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
The new flapper has a quicker flush. I have to hold the handle down a little bit for a more complete flush.
Adjust the new flapper to a higher number.
If you have more than 2 links of slack, reduce slack.

korky-3060-toto.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The adjustment determines how long the flapper stays up. If you're not getting the design flush volume, just adjust it until you do. It will be more accurate and consistent than trying to hold the handle, and guests won't have an issue with it, either.

Eric R Simons

Reaction score
Thanks for all the sage advice here. I"m happy to report that it is now working perfectly. I shortened the chain two links and set the flapper to 8, the highest number. It flushes fine now without holding the handle down. It all makes me wonder why the Korky replacement I first installed never worked right and sometimes didn't seal. I guess I'm not going to worry about that now that it works fine. I appreciate all the input for a supposedly simple problem.

Eric

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks