Sterling Vikrell Bathtub - Does The Apron Contact Subfloor And Support Weight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm installing a Sterling Vikrell AllPro bathtub.

I'll be bedding the tub in mortar, but do I need to ensure that after leveling that the apron contacts the subfloor? In other words, does the apron function as a support device to hold the tub in place and keep it from rocking.

I know that the mortar will support the tub itself, but I'm not sure about that apron. It appears that when the tub is leveled, the apron will be about 1/16" or so off of the subfloor.

Please advise, as I'm setting the tub as soon as possible.

Thanks very much.

Bluegrass Picker

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the apron does not contact 'something' what is going to support it when you sit on the tub's rim? I don't know which Vickrell tub you are using, but the one my neighbor installed was VERY 'flimsy' and would have flexed with just a small amount of pressure on it.

Rayh78

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm installing a Sterling Vikrell AllPro bathtub.

I'll be bedding the tub in mortar, but do I need to ensure that after leveling that the apron contacts the subfloor? In other words, does the apron function as a support device to hold the tub in place and keep it from rocking.

I know that the mortar will support the tub itself, but I'm not sure about that apron. It appears that when the tub is leveled, the apron will be about 1/16" or so off of the subfloor.

Please advise, as I'm setting the tub as soon as possible.

Thanks very much.

Bluegrass Picker

You are good. I put in about 20 of them over the years and on most there can be a slight gap. If anything makes the caulk grab better.
HJ is right the front apron is really too thin to be made to support the tub. But I really like the tubs and they seem to hold up well.

Reactions: SHR
Reaction score
Thanks very much to all who responded in this thread. The tub is in.

I had to raise the tub 3/4" up off of the subfloor using a 1x4 under the apron and more mortar under the tub since the apron has a decorative molded in indentation that runs the lower length of the apron that is only about 1/2" from the bottom of the apron. That decorative indentation would have been lower than the finished flooring if I had set the tub flat on the subfloor, since the underlayment of the adjacent flooring was 3/4" particle board above the subfloor.

Regarding the felt pad, It seems that when using it and just the feet, all the feet wouldn't totally contact the floor for complete support. Using a straightedge, I determined that three of the feet were about 1/8" shorter than the others. It seems that there would be some stress with weight and flexing in those areas. I'm glad I went with the mortar.

Thanks again for everyone's help, I sincerely appreciate this forum and those who help here.

Merry Christmas

Bluegrass Picker

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks