Sterling Garden Tub Faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

LMJones

Reaction score
I have a 20+ year old faucet that I would love to replace. Unfortunately, there is no access panel and noone seems to want to do it. Is there a way to tell from the photos what brand the spout is? The handles say Sterling, but every plumber we have had over to look at it says they are replacement handles and I can't find any Sterling fixtures for sale. I am hoping just to do a make over if possible (change the tops without replacing the rough in valve). There are no leaks I just think the handles are ugly and I can't seem to get the spout clean no matter what I scrub it with.

Thank you for reading this and any suggestions.

Attachments

• DSC03010.JPG
    DSC03010.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC03011.JPG
    DSC03011.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC03012.JPG
    DSC03012.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC03013.JPG
    DSC03013.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC03014.JPG
    DSC03014.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC03015.JPG
    DSC03015.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 319

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
To replace the handles, pop the plastic cover that reads "sterling" with a utility knife, unscrew the little screw and lift the handle. Take the handles to a plumbing shop to find an exact replacement to fit the stems. If you search around, you'll find many styles and finishes to choose from.

I wish you had better photos of the, tub from different angles, to see a way to replace the faucet rough in and the spout. What's strange is like you said that "no one seems to want to do it".

Chuckglenn

Reaction score
I have a 20+ year old faucet that I would love to replace. Unfortunately, there is no access panel and noone seems to want to do it. Is there a way to tell from the photos what brand the spout is? The handles say Sterling, but every plumber we have had over to look at it says they are replacement handles and I can't find any Sterling fixtures for sale. I am hoping just to do a make over if possible (change the tops without replacing the rough in valve). There are no leaks I just think the handles are ugly and I can't seem to get the spout clean no matter what I scrub it with.

Thank you for reading this and any suggestions.
Hi, I found your post doing a google search. I have the same exact problem as you posted.
I signed up here just to see if you had found a solution? I'm trying to find nicer looking handles plus nicer updated faucet. Did you have any luck, recommendations?

Thank you,

Chuck

Nathan_01

Reaction score
The faucet is model Sterling #13623 so you can use that to try to locate parts.
Thanks for calling out the model number; looks exactly like the roman tub filler we have (house was built around 2001). The cold side is dripping and assume the gaskets need to be replaced (or the entire stem unit). I tried searching for the model number and found the following doc on Kohler's website (which owns Sterling): https://resources.kohler.com/plumbing/sterling/pdf/97393.pdf . It looks like the one on the lower left image. I was hoping to find a good diagram showing the construction. I ran into a problem when trying to remove the stem unit. The YouTube videos make it looks so easy as a DIY project... When trying to remove the stem unit, it seems to be catching on something. Feels like metal on metal. I was hoping to remove it so I could take good pictures/measurement and find replacement parts. I'm wondering if anyone has experience removing this type of stem unit. e.g., do you need a special tool, do you have to remove some other part, etc. I've attached a bunch of pictures. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3958_2.jpg
    IMG_3958_2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3969.jpg
    IMG_3969.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3968.jpg
    IMG_3968.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3967.jpg
    IMG_3967.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3966.jpg
    IMG_3966.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3965.jpg
    IMG_3965.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3964.jpg
    IMG_3964.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3963.jpg
    IMG_3963.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3962.jpg
    IMG_3962.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3959_2.jpg
    IMG_3959_2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 93
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks