Sterling Ensemble, Basic questions

Users who are viewing this thread

redbandit98

Reaction score
Hello, I have a few basic questions. First off, I need to replace a cracked tub/shower combo. I will be moving out soon, and it's just me doing the install. That being said I went with a sterling ensemble tub/surround. My thought was with the caulkless surround, I could use it faster (it's my only bathroom) . That was before I realized I shold set the tub in mortar. I guess it's a moot point now as I will have to wait for that to set up.

I was originally just going to keep my old 3 handle faucet combo, but realized with the sterling surround it doesn't look like I can slide the panel in to lock it with the valves protruding out. I realize I could take the valve apart, but I have no idea what brand it is and if parts are available. I've only ever installed one shower valve in my life, but it seems to me even the cartridge style units still stick out a bit past the finished wall. Does anyone have any experience with the sterling surrounds? Is it possible to install these things with any of the plumbing protruding?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To make a proper seal, the body of the valve must be installed so that the panel comes somewhere between the min/max on the instructions of the valve you choose. Typically, when you make this type of change, a building permit is required and that would also mean that you'd probably need to install a new valve that meets the current federal guidelines, so for that reason, and for looks and future repairability (not a big deal for you if you're moving, but it will be a selling point)...you should change that valve out.

Most of them have a mounting method called thin-panel or something similar. You need to follow those instructions to anchor the valve to the panel properly so when it flexes, it doesn't allow a big gap to open behind the trim plate.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Absolutely replace the three handle a single handle. Delta makes one that works well for installing the Sterling unit.
The Sterling kit comes with a felt pad for laying under the tub. If the floor is flat, that may be all you need. The mortar setting helps if the floor is out of level. It does set up quickly, so taking a bath or shower within a few hours would be just fine.

redbandit98

Reaction score
I did a little research and it seems the sterling units used to come with a felt pad, but now they just recommend mortar. I don't mind doing the mortar if that's what makes a good install.

You wouldn't happen to know the delta model you are referring to do you? I
purchased a delta "porter" tub and shower combo. I didn't realize I bought a low flow so I'll probably be returning it for something else

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most fiberglass and/or acrylic tubs can flex if they are not fully supported underneath. That leads to problems with the drain and sealing, plus, over time, it will cause stress cracks. So, you really do want to use mortar underneath, especially if that's what they recommend. It makes this type of tub feel more substantial, similar to a cast iron one, and will improve its overall life and reliability.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks