Sterling dual flushes - Rockton

Users who are viewing this thread

mthurman

Reaction score
First, let me say, the internet has reached another milestone in maturation when there is a forum where we can talk about toilets. Not kidding, this is a great thing. Hysterical Toto drake thread, I had to read it all to find out what the cuplrit was going to be.

I am a small builder who is trying to grab the low fruit on the eco tree. One of those is a dual flush. I have a house with 3 stools to install. I have been on a wait list for 3 toto aquia's for almost 2 months with the biggest Toto dealer who I also get a lot of my other items/fixtures from. I have to put this spec remodel on the market in a couple of weeks and it isn't looking good for my place on the wait list.

I was at a different supply house today and they had the Sterling Rockton in stock and, it was $100. I know it was a computer issue and I tried to tell the guy. Since a huge big box home improvement store just bought this supply house in the past year, he could care less if they lose money on it.

My questions are these (and I have found small anecdotal comments online but nothing with the real life descriptions Terry or folks on this forum talk to):

Is this a good over-all stool?

Is it jet engine loud?

If it is in a guest bath or hall bath and someone misses the small mark, are skids going to cause multiple jet engine flushes?

How does it do with solids?

I want to do dual flushes with this house, but I don't want to stick in a piece of junk and make myself and dual flushes look bad in the process. We work very hard to put out a good product and I am hesitant to try something I don't have real world knowledge about. I wish the aquia wasn't in such short supply here in Denver.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I understand that Toto is making 8,000 Aquia toilets a month, and can't keep up with demand.
I have a bunch for the Seattle area in three colors including Cotton White, I ordered mine a long time ago.

The Rockton gets 300 to 325 grams on the MaP scale.
I sold both the Rockton and a Toto Eco Drake to a designer in Seattle.
She's been telling friends to buy the Eco Drake. They use 1.28 gallons.

That closeout $100 for the Rockton is a screaming deal though.

Last edited:

iMarc

Reaction score
Sterling Rockton is impressive for the price

Hi Terry,

I installed a Sterling Rockton in my home 15 months ago and have absolutely no complaints about it. I've never ever had to flush twice, it's easy to keep clean and in spite of the smallish water surface area, it doesn't seem to attract "skid marks". I should qualify that by saying there is no one in the household who flushes sanitary napkins or disposable diapers so I can't report on it's effectiveness under those conditions but my partner likes to use toilet paper by the handful and has never had a clog or had to flush more than once. I'm impressed with the Rockton! I think it was a very good buy at $250.

On the other hand I installed a Kohler Cimmaron "Force-5" water saving toilet in my architectural office 3 years ago, shortly after it was introduced. It can be adjusted for 1.4 or 1.6 gallons per flush. It's now set at the 1.6 gal. flush because at the 1.4 gal. setting it frequently had to be flushed twice for solid waste. It wasn't saving ANY water when it had to be flushed twice. It's also a "skid mark" collector because the water surface is so far back to the rear of the bowl. Purchase price was same as the Sterling, $250. I'm not impressed. (It is possible that Kohler has improved the product by now?)

I agree with you that Toto makes excellent quality toilets (as well as other fixtures) and I wouldn't doubt for a minute that the Toto dual-flush is better than the Sterling product, quality control in particular. But the Toto dual-flush toilets are also quite a bit more expensive. For a fair comparison, I think the purchase price should be taken into consideration when comparing the two.

There are many homeowners and building contractors who are unable or reluctant to spend the extra bucks for a Toto but might be able to swing the Sterling Rockton or Karstens. It's important that more people install water-saving toilets so it seems to me a good thing to have a reasonably priced, good quality fixture available for those with budget constraints.

Your website is full of useful and helpful information. Thank you for the valuable service. Keep up the good work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks