Step Down Shower Pan

Users who are viewing this thread

bking5745

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I'm currently remodeling my master bath in Florida. I have 2 questions.

1) I'm not sure how to do a pan liner on a drop-down shower which is concrete? In the attached pictures if I lay the liner and build the slope there will be an area that will be exposed since the cement board will stop at the top of the concrete lip. Also, do I need a pre-slope? When demoing there was no pan liner installed from the builder.

index.php

index.php

2) There was a Garden Tub in the below picture and I never knew the valves where there it was enclosed inside the buildup lol. I'm not putting the tub back and will be putting 2 sinks instead. What's the proper way of extending the copper pipes to the wall if I dig it up?

index.php

Attachments

• IMG_9069.jpeg
    IMG_9069.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 12,156
  • IMG_9068.jpeg
    IMG_9068.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 6,406
  • IMG_9071.jpeg
    IMG_9071.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 4,618

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
In Florida, any shower on the first floor slab is usually recessed and no shower pans are made for it. The use of a waterproof membrane is needed, a a layer of thinset to get the pitch to the drain as you lay tile. Two years ago we had our main bath remodel and we did not want a curb as the old setup had, just wanted a step down. After building up the floor and tile, the step down is only about 2 inches.

If you never did tiling before, the shower floor is about the most difficult and time consuming part. You'll notice the second picture has a gap from the floor to the wall, that section you do last.

bathroom2.jpg . bathroom3.jpg bathroom1.jpg

As far as the pipes, you need to remove the valves and sweat 1/2" copper and a few fittings to get it to the wall. If you are going to use the drain check if it is vented, if not use AAV's under each sink.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FL thinks it's special, and doesn't abide by the national plumbing codes that requires a sloped, waterproof liner in a shower. Neither tile nor grout are waterproof. Given the generally high moisture levels in FL, it's best to not introduce more into the ground and walls around a shower, so industry standard methods should really be followed. The industry bible is updated annually from the Tile Council of North America. It describes numerous tested ways to build a shower. It's a good idea to follow one of them. No liner is not in the book!

The safest way to do that in your situation would be a sheet membrane like Kerdi, Hydroban sheet, or one of them from Noble company. In most cases, that would require changing the drain to one compatible with those materials. On an old house, you might want to consider digging up the drain and p-trap and replace them, depending on what they are made of.

The liner must be sloped, so a preslope is required. If you use a surface applied membrane, that can be applied directly to the preslope. Using a conventional build would be harder there as it would be tough to handle the liner outside of the shower, or the edges of it as you go to the main floor. ANd, it requires a second layer - the same thickness all over, but would end up sloped because of what's underneath.

Dream Weaver Bath

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kerdi liner is idea for that shower pan. You have to replace the drain and then slope the pan to it. Then the Kerdi liner floats directly to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks