Steel wool looking debris in cold water screens

Users who are viewing this thread

DeepSouth

Reaction score
3 months ago a mid 80yo relative noticed her washing machine would not fill up with cold water. The screen on the cold side was blocked with a dark gray material that looks like very fine steel wool but soft per touch. I pulled the kitchen faucet screen and it was blocked. Since then I’ve had to clean the washing machine line several times and the sink twice. The washer is the closest line to the tank. After the material dries a hot flashlight will make the material smolder. One variable was the house was struck by lightning a couple of weeks before we noticed the blockage. It destroyed her 22kv generator and knocked out the phones. No obvious damage to the lines at the well. 4 inch submersible pump last replaced 30 years ago. The company that installed the well changed the pressure regulator and said they couldn’t find any problems. Any thoughts?

590ABB48-CEFA-4EAE-B815-82B911498026.jpeg
D44EAA59-03D1-47AB-BA1B-6CE122B62B0B.jpeg

the pressure reg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Two possibilities... up-thrust is slowly shaving off the tops of the volutes or there are roots growing inside the casing.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Did you say the submersible pump was replaced 30 years ago or was it 3 years ago? If there is a dishwasher and a refrigerator, the same stuff will be blocking the water shut off valve in each unit.

Are there any water filters? At my church I had a high grade commercial water filter release a similar material, like blue color paper pulp. It jammed up the water valve of the ice machine.

How old is the pressure tank? Is it a bladder type?
It might look like steel wood but it's more likely plastic since a flashlight bulb can melt it. Possible the impeller inside the submersible pump is degrading but it should also effect the hot water side. This stuff might be settling down at the bottom of the water heater. Perhaps a water heater drain and flush may be in order.

Last edited:

DeepSouth

Reaction score
Did you say the submersible pump was replaced 30 years ago or was it 3 years ago? If there is a dishwasher and a refrigerator, the same stuff will be blocking the water shut off valve in each unit.

Are there any water filters? At my church I had a high grade commercial water filter release a similar material, like blue color paper pulp. It jammed up the water valve of the ice machine.

How old is the pressure tank? Is it a bladder type?
It might look like steel wood but it's more likely plastic since a flashlight bulb can melt it. Possible the impeller inside the submersible pump is degrading but it should also effect the hot water side. This stuff might be settling down at the bottom of the water heater. Perhaps a water heater drain and flush may be in order.
It is on the cold water on the washer. As we left today I checked the sink and shower furthest from the tank. Both were beginning to clog up with the same material and possibly some sand. The washer cold line clogged up twice it pan three days. No filter proximal or distal to tank. The tank is steel but I assume fiberglass bladder, Not positive. Original well dug in 1974 and pump replaced 30 years ago. The owner is mid eighties and lives alone, most water used would be washer, dishwasher and shower. While we were there cleaning etc using more water it was getting worse. Tank was replaced 10-15 years ago.

really appreciate the help. I’m hoping I don’t have to give her the news she needs a new well. New Pump is bad, but a well after the tornado and lightning strike would sting.
Thanks again, I need al” the help I can get.

a large pecan tree is 40-50 ft from tge well.
Good idea on the hot water flush, I can get a relative to try that before I go back.
It looks like steel wool but the feel of cotton to clarify.

DeepSouth

Reaction score
I wasn’t close on the tank. It was manufactured in 2002. Polypropylene liner. Could it be the our e or still think it is the pump?
AMTROL CH-86, CH17002 (SHORT), CH MODELS: CHAMPION VERTICAL STAND, DARK BLUE
Champion pre-pressurized well tanks deliver reliable performance at an affordable price. All feature a deep-drawn steel dome design, hoop ring and groove construction and a 5-year limited warranty. Made in the USA at our ISO 9001:2008 registered facilities, Champion well tanks are an outstanding value.
Durable steel tank design with appliance-like finish
100 psi max working pressure
Polypropylene Liner
Butyl/EPDM blend diaphragm permanently separates water and air
Diaphragm will not crease or trap debris like bladder designs
NSF standard 61 listed

Multi-Dome Construction
Deep drawn steel outperforms other designs in pressure tests.
Heavy-Duty Butyl/EPDM Diaphragm
30% thicker to outlast the competition.
100% Polypropylene Liner
Meets NSF International Standard 61 and FDA requirements for clean, safe drinking water.
Hoop Ring & Groove Design
Provides a permanent seal between diaphragm, liner and domes.
Welded Air Stem
Ensures reliable, leak-free performance.
5-Year Warranty

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
When a tank fails the pump starts clicking on and off really fast. The bad tank bladder could cause contamination to grow in the tank, but unlikely to have anything like that.

DeepSouth

Reaction score
The timing of the lightning striking the house and the onset of this had everyone involved missing the problem, I guess. No idea why the well company guys missed it, but I’m thankful for all the help. Now the fun begins finding someone to fix this. I’ll get them to replace the 20 year old tank while they’re at it. The old gauge was always at 80 psi, but the new one they replaced is at 40.

thanks again for the assistance. I’ll let you know what they find.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would also consider a whole-house cartridge filter. Wells suck up stuff, and after changing the pump, there will be some new sediment pumped up. After the pump change, run water full blast to the ditch for a while.

While I have 20x4.5 Pentek Big Blue housings, there are others that may be good. Culligan seems to have a built-in bypass, but I don't know how proprietary their filter cartridges are. 4.5x10 and 4.5x20 cartridges are readily available from different makers.

DeepSouth

Reaction score
That's my que! Lol! Might as well study up on what causes most pump failures while you are at it. Always good to be informed when dealing with contractors.

View attachment 76561
I watched the vid a couple of times and then watched the sharpie explanation. Very informative and seems logical. The conversation with a driller vid is what I’m expecting to hear when I request this. She has an 86 gallon tank in a outdoor storage room with two inch galvanized pipes going in multiple directions. Reminds me of the spaghetti models for hurricanes. 84 years old, lives alone in a 4000sq ft home and other than showers, washing machine and dishwasher, no big water usage until we are there.

The only downside of the small tank would be it freezing in the winter. I’ve got a number for a well guy, but I’m waiting on another friend to give me his recommendation. I’m 100 miles away and I’m trying to get someone to send a picture of the pipes at the tank. The house originally had all copper pipes in the slab. When they had a problem years ago someone rerouted half the house on a line trenched along the side abd fron of the house. It’s a cluster, but it’s her home, she’s happy.

I’ve learned a lot about wells in the last week, but mainly that I don’t know jack about them. Add that to electricity and quantum mechanics.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The conversation with a driller vid is what I’m expecting to hear when I request this.

Lol! You are probably right. But that at least would be very telling. I would be glad to help with that if they are willing to listen to some facts.

The size of tank has nothing to do with freezing. The little nipple to the pressure switch is the first thing to freeze, and it is the same on any size tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks